Roaring Run Day Use Area


Overview/Background

Brief History of Roaring Run Furnace:

The existing furnace operated from 1847 until the late 1850s.  It replaced the original furnace that was built here a decade earlier.  

When “in blast”, the furnace heated ore from  local mountains to temperatures hot enough to melt out the iron.  The product made was a low-grade iron known as “pig iron” and  was shipped down the  James River  to Lynchburg and Richmond.  

By-products of the iron-extraction process were glass-like chunks called  “slag”.  Pieces of the shiny blue-black slag can still be seen on the ground around the furnace.     

Historic Iron furnace in a wooded setting


https://www.fs.usda.gov/generalinfo/gwj/recreation/hiking/generalinfo/?groupid=139695&recid=73925