Sunshine Guard Station
Sunshine Guard Station was originally built as part of the Malheur National Forest Blue Mountain Work Center in 1931 and was used as a bunkhouse. In 1968, Sunshine was relocated to its current location at the junction of Elk Creek and the Middle Fork John Day River. Forest Service personnel and volunteers occupied the Guard Station during the summer months until the early 1990's. In 1988, Sunshine was found to be eligible for the National Historic Registry for its historical significance.