CIO: Employees with expired or expiring LincPass cards and newly hired employees without a LincPass card can request a 30-day exception

CIO Header

Employees with a personal identity verification (PIV) LincPass card that is expired or have received notification that their card will soon expire, and newly hired employees needing a LincPass card, can now request a 30-day exception to the LincPass requirement if they are unable to make an appointment with a local credentialing center or are unable to safely travel to one.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture currently doesn’t have an electronic means to extend the expiration date or the associated certificates on expiring cards. If either the card or the certificates expire, the card is terminated, requiring the cardholder to visit a credentialing center to renew the card.

If you have a LincPass card this is already expired or soon to expire, or if you are a new employee needing a LincPass card, you are encouraged to schedule an appointment with a USDA credentialing center if you can find one open in your area and can safely get to that appointment. Otherwise, you must initiate an exception request (see “What You Need To Do” section below). The 30-day exception will allow you to log in to Forest Service network resources using your user ID and password. The 30-day exception request can be renewed every 30 days until you can safety get to a USDA credentialing center to renew the card or get a new card issued.

Additional information

Most Human Resources Management (HRM) resources, including Paycheck8, eOPF, eTracker, and HR Help, are accessible with eAuthentication user ID and password at If you can’t access your eAuthentication account, you can reset your password on your own or by calling the HRM Contact Center at 1-877-372-7248, option 2, and ask to be transferred to the Hunt Group.   

You will not be able to digitally sign documents using eAuthentication, however.

What you need to do

  • Watch for an email notification from USAccess notifying you that your card has expired or is expiring. When you receive the email from USAccess, and if you know that you need to initiate a 30-day exception due to the circumstances listed in “The Main Point” section above, be sure to save the email notification. It contains important instructions for how to renew your card when you are able to safely do so. To familiarize yourself with the email notification contents, view this sample letter.
  • If you are an existing employee with an expiring or expired card, or if you are a new employee needing to have a LincPass card issued for the first time, you can initiate a 30-day exception by calling the Customer Help Desk at (866) 945-1354.
  • Tell the CHD agent you have an expired or expiring LincPass card, or that you are a new employee needing a LincPass card, and you’d like to request a 30-day exception.
  • Be prepared to provide the agent with your user ID and serial number of your laptop or desktop computer.
  • The CHD will provide you with additional information.
  • Remember that you can extend the initial 30-day exception request, if needed, by repeating the above steps every 30 days.

Help is available

For technical help call the Customer Help Desk at 1-866-945-1354 (TTY: 1-800-877-8339), start a chat with an agent, or type the full Knowledge Base Article (KBA) number or “keywords” in double quotes into the Search box on the Customer Help Desk site to find helpful knowledge management documents.

The CIO is committed to providing reasonable accommodation in all of its activities, services, and programs for individuals with disabilities. If you require reasonable accommodation in accessing and using the information contained in this email, please email CIO News.

Visit the CIO News Archives for past emails.