Forest Service computers running older versions of Windows 10 (older than version 1803) will receive an automated Microsoft Feature Update starting Oct. 30, 2019.
Feature Updates are released by Microsoft periodically, and they are required to keep the Windows 10 operating system current and supported.
Please note that the download is likely to affect the office network. Therefore, it is recommended that you follow the self-service instructions at the end of the work day to avoid this situation. A link to the self-service instructions is provided below.
What You Need To Do
• If you are using your computer at the time of the Feature Update, it will not be available for you to use for approximately 45 minutes. Please do not log off or turn off your computer.
• The deployment will attempt to install the update at night if your computer is left on, which will reduce the impact to the network. Please note that the update will install through wired, VPN, and wireless connections.
• After you receive the update, you will see your regular log on screen. If you do not see your regular log on screen, you may need to restart your computer one or more times to complete the update.
• The update is available for optional self-service installation through the Configuration Manager’s Software Center. Instructions for manually installing the update can be found in KBA00106713 - FS: Event: Windows 10 Feature Update.
• If you are not sure what version of Windows 10 you are using, instructions to find out your version can be found in KBA00106713 - FS: Event: Windows 10 Feature Update.
Help is Available
For technical help call the Customer Help Desk at 1-866-945-1354 (TTY: 1-800-877-8339), start a chat with an agent, or type the full KBA number or “keywords” in double quotes into the Search box on the Customer Help Desk site to find helpful knowledge management documents.
The CIO is committed to providing reasonable accommodation in all of its activities, services, and programs for individuals with disabilities. If you require reasonable accommodation in accessing and using the information contained in this email, please email CIO News.
Visit the CIO News Archives for past emails.