Land & Resources Management

A Forest Volunteer plants an American Chestnut Tree on a reclaimed mine site.The Wayne National Forest is a working forest that provides multiple uses and multiple products. While visiting you may see management in progress. Some areas are maintained in an open condition, either by bush-hogging or with prescribed fire. In other areas you may see trees being planted, thinned, pruned, or harvested.

The Forest provides diverse habitats for the plant and animal communities of southeastern Ohio. Some tree species for instance, require full sunlight to germinate and grow. Harvesting the over-story also provides for many of the nut and berry producing plants required by some wildlife.

Our goal is that any disturbance in the forest lies lightly on the land, allowing management projects to be compatible with other benefits of the Forest our public enjoys.

Features

Administration of Oil and Gas Activities

Of  the 244,240 acres of land acquired by the Wayne National Forest, the federal goverenment owns approximately 41% of the mineral rights beneath the surface of those lands. Mineral rights for the other 59% are privately owned. Find out more about the administration of these rights by the USDA Forest Service and the Bureau of Land Management and how we work with rights owners under the guidance of our Forest Plan. 


Travel Management

The U.S. Forest Service is committed to balancing your needs for access to the National Forests & Prairie with the responsibility to sustain a productive, diverse, and healthy forest/prairie. This section contains the Wayne National Forest's plans for future road management and addressing concerns about the future sustainability of the National Forest's road system.


View All Features

Spotlights

Land Management Plan Revision

Trail with Wildflowers - credit: Becky Stewart

The Wayne National Forest is pleased to announce that it will begin revising its Land Management Plan in April of 2018.

American Burying Beetles Released

Adults and children work together to release American burying beetles on the Wayne National Forest.

American Burying Beetles, an endangered species were released on the Wayne National Forest in June 2009.