Forest Products Permits

  • Firewood Permit

    A placeholder image

    The Forest Service sells permits to cut firewood for personal use.

  • Tree Transplant Permit

    A placeholder image

    Live transplant trees cost $5 each and at least four trees must be purchased. The maximum purchase is ten trees per calendar year.

  • Rock Collecting & Gold Panning

    A placeholder image

    Recreational rock collecting in small amounts for personal use is allowed on the forest & gold panning is allowed in some locations.

  • Slate Permit

    A placeholder image

    Slate, a native rock, can only be purchased at the Mystic Ranger District office in Rapid City, SD. (Photo: Slate in foreground of rock pile by Bonnie Jones, Black Hills National Forest/USDA FS)

  • Christmas Tree Permit

    A placeholder image

    Christmas Tree Permits are available through December 31 to cut down your own ponderosa pine, spruce, or juniper tree for the holiday season.

Permits are also available for pine cones and berries. Contact a local Forest Service office to learn more.