Other Permits

Gravel road within national forest landWe receive questions about many types of non-recreation, or lands special use permits. These uses include linear rights-of-way, (such as electric and phone utilities and roads), signs, research or survey permits, stream gauging stations, pastures and hay permits, service buildings, stockpile sites, sewer transmission facilities, communications sites and many more types of special uses.

There is no specific time frame for processing most of these types of proposals, but it can vary from several weeks to well over a year. To learn more please contact the Special Uses Coordinator.

Types of other permits:

A person walking with nine dogs

Commercial dog walking and other paid pet care services, including dog training or off-leash “excursions,” are PROHIBITED at Sandy River Delta and other lands managed by the U.S. Forest Service in the Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area. Fines for unauthorized commercial dog walking start at $500.  

Horsetail Falls viewing plaza and rockwork on rainy day

Memorials, Plaques, Commemorative Monuments and Ashes – Learn guidelines, prohibitions, and alternatives for memorials on National Forest System lands in the Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area. 

A path through a dry grass and scrub landscape.

Forest Products Permits - Forest products include edible or decorative materials (including Christmas trees), plants, and firewood. Collection of forest products is currently prohibited in the Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area. Find out where you can go.

Historic Post Card of CRGNSA

Metal Detecting - The restrictions to metal detecting on public lands are to protect historical remains