Other Permits

Special Use Authorizations provide use of, and access to, National Forest System lands for a wide variety of activities to both commercial and noncommercial operations. Permits are also issued for private, non-exclusive use. Depending on the complexity of the proposal, obtaining a Special Use Authorization can sometimes be a lengthy process. Please coordinate early with the District where you would like to operate.

Permits for group activities like these are required because the Forest Service has a duty to minimize resource impacts on National Forest lands. Large group gatherings in the National Forests have significant adverse impacts on Forest resources, public health and safety, and the agency's ability to allocate space in the face of increasing constraints on the use of National Forest land. A permit system allows the agency to address these problems more expeditiously, more effectively, and more equitably.

Noncommercial Group Use

Under the regulation, a "group use" is an activity that involves a group of 75 or more people, either as participants or spectators. "Noncommercial" is any use or activity where an entry or participation fee is not charged, and the primary purpose is not the sale of a goods or service.  Some examples of noncommercial group uses are weddings, church services, endurance rides, regattas, camping trips, hikes, music festivals, rallies and graduations. 

Recreational Residences

Back in the early 1900's the Forest Service Recreation Residence program started to give private citizens the opportunity to own a single-family cabin in designated areas on the National Forests. They are commonly called "summer homes" or "recreation cabins". These privately owned cabins (improvements) are located within formally established "tracts" on individual "lots" designated for that purpose.  The last formally established tract in the Region was in 1959 and no new tracts or cabins are allowed to be built.  These recreation residence permits are authorized and administered under the terms and conditions of a special use authorization (SUA) called a permit.


There are many diverse research projects on the Eldorado National Forest.  Research includes experimental forest demonstration areas, observatories, laboratories, stream gauges, weather stations, educational research study, and similar uses not intended to result in further development. 

All Other Special Uses

Land uses including utilities, water transmission, road permits, signs / monuments, resort permit amendments, current use permit amendments, communication sites, recreation residence improvements.

Submit all proposals and applications at least 180 days ahead of your intended start of operations.