Recreation Passes & Permits

For your convenience, there are three ways to purchase a recreation pass.

  • Order through the U.S. Geological Survey online or by phone (888) 275-8747.

  • Order by calling your local USDA or Hiawatha National Forest office.

  • Passes can be purchased from other federal agencies. Find one near you.

An interagency pass can be used to visit federally-managed lands across the nation. This means is can be used for Forest Service lands, including the Hiawatha National Forest, and for other agencies. Visit the USGS to learn more.

  • Annual Pass

    An $80 Annual Pass provides two people access to more than 2,000 recreation areas managed by five Federal agencies, with proceeds used to enhance visitor recreation services. Anyone under 16 years of age is admitted free.

  • Senior Passes

    There are two options for Seniors: a $20 annual pass, or an $80 lifetime pass. Covers admittance to more than 2,000 recreation sites. It also offers amenity fee discounts at

  • Every Kid Outdoors

    The pass allows free admission at sites that charge Entrance or Standard Amenity fees (day use fees) for one full year (September through August of the student’s 4th grade year).

  • Military Pass

    A free annual pass available to current US Military (Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, Coast Guard, Space Force, National Guard, or Reserve), Veterans, Dependents and Gold Star families.

  • Access Pass

    A lifetime pass for U.S. residents. You can obtain an Access Pass online by uploading an ID and documentation of permanent disability. There is a $10 fee.

  • Volunteer Pass

    The Volunteer Pass annual pass is awarded to those individuals who volunteer 250 hours at one or more recreation sites managed by five Federal agencies as a way to say "thank you!"