About the Institute

1/3
1/3 Institute Headquarters building in April 1943
The Institute Headquarters building in April 1943 - Then known as the Tropical Forest Experiment Station.
2/3
2/3 Forest Health Monitoring: Harrisia Cactus Mealybug Monitoring on Caja de Muertos, Puerto Rico.
In the 1950s Dr. Frank Wadsworth became both the supervisor of the Caribbean National Forest and director of the Institute of Tropical Forestry.
3/3
3/3 Institute Headquarters building with new sign October 2018.
Institute Headquarters building with the new sign replaced after Hurricane Maria. October 2018.
 

Overview

The International Institute of Tropical Forestry (the Institute), headquartered in Río Piedras, Puerto Rico, is a research and technology transfer institute that is dedicated to advancing tropical forestry on insular, national, and international levels, and developing and exchanging knowledge critical to sustaining benefits of tropical forests and grasslands.

The Institute has been in continuous operation since its inception as the Tropical Forest Experiment Station in 1939.

People - All Employees

The Institute’s personnel include scientists, technicians, program managers, and administrative personnel whose dedication and hard work make the Institute a world class research center.

All Employees Directory

History

A summary of the historic International Institute of Tropical Forestry headquarters and the inauguration, with the assistance of the former U.S. Forest Service Chief Tom Tidwell, of the newly renovated building in July 2012.

Institute Headquarters History

Director

Dr. Ariel E. Lugo.
Director since 1979.

Vision and Mission

About the Institute's Vision and Mission

Institute Vision and Mission

Facilities

About the Institute's Library and Information Resources

Library

Overview of the Institute's Facilities

Institute facilities


Page last modified: 11/21/2018 16:59 PM



https://www.fs.usda.gov/main/iitf/about