Other Permits

Recreation Residences

Recreation residences, also referred to as summer homes, have a long tradition on the Idaho Panhandle National Forests and are administered under special use permits. Some of these homes date back to the early 1900's. Currently there are 138 recreation residences on the IPNF, most of which are located on our Priest Lake District. Please visit our Summer Home web page for information pertinent to the recreation residence program on the IPNF. 

Noncommercial Group Permits

Forest Service regulations require a permit for noncommercial group uses of National Forest lands when the group activity involves 75 or more people, either as participants or spectators.  "Noncommercial" is defined as any use or activity where an entry or participation fee is not charged, and the primary purpose is not the sale of a goods or service. Some examples of noncommercial group uses are weddings, church services, endurance rides, regattas, camping trips, hikes, music festivals, rallies, graduations, and races.

Permits for group activities like these are required because the Forest Service has a duty to minimize resource impacts on National Forest lands. Large group gatherings in the National Forests have significant adverse impacts on Forest resources, public health and safety, and the agency's ability to allocate space in the face of increasing constraints on the use of National Forest land. A permit system allows the agency to address these problems more expeditiously, more effectively, and more equitably.

If you want to know if you need a permit for your group activity, contact your local Forest Service office.

Prospectuses for Concession Campground and Route of the Hiawatha Rail Trail

The Idaho Panhandle National Forests are pleased to announce the availability of two separate prospectuses for a special-use permit for developed recreation sites and a rail trail. These prospectuses are being issued to solicit applications for a concession campground and related Granger-Thye Concessions' special-use permit and the Route of Hiawatha rail trail special use permit. Two permits to provide high-quality public service in the operation and maintenance of Government-owned recreation facilities located on the Idaho Panhandle National Forests will be issued.

Key Contacts

Recreation Residence Permit Administrator
Debbie Butler
(208) 443-6822