Event/Commercial Permits

Who Needs a Permit and Why?

As a steward of the National Forests, the Forest Service has a duty to minimize resource impacts on National Forest System lands. The Klamath National Forest manages its many resources with the objective of caring for the land and serving people. Management protects natural resource values, public health and safety, and is consistent with goals outlined in the Forest Plan. In order to meet these objectives, permits may be required for the occupancy and use of Forest Service land or resources.

A group enjoys the sunshine and a picnic at Juanita Lake.Large group gatherings in the National Forests have significant adverse impacts on Forest resources, public health and safety, and the agency’s ability to allocate space in the face of increasing constraints on the use of National Forest System land. A permit system allows the agency to address these problems more expeditiously, more effectively, and more equitably.

Permits for Groups

According to forest regulations, an activity that involves a group of 75 or more people, either as participants or spectators, is considered a “group use”. A non-commercial group use is any activity where an entry or participation fee is not charged, and the primary purpose is not the sale of goods or a service. Some examples of noncommercial group uses are weddings, church services, graduations, camping trips, hikes and family reunions.  Commercial activities, even when organized by a non-profit organization, may require a special use permit.  Examples include music festivals, rallies and races, endurance rides, regattas, filming, trail rides and festivals. Commercial guiding or leading groups of any size requires a permit.

Special Use Permits

Uses which directly impact the land fall under the Special Uses Authorization process, for example, building of roads across forest land, utility lines and easements, gas and oil pipelines and holding tanks, wells and telecommunications sites.   Likewise the collection of forest products including wood, minerals and rock, plants, berries, nuts, pine cones and mushrooms for commercial resale requires a permit.  To begin the Special Use Permit process, contact the appropriate District Office on the Klamath National Forest several months in advance.

      Information regarding Special Use Permits on the Klamath National Forest including “how to apply” can be found at http://www.fs.fed.us/specialuses/.