Passes & Permits


National Forests in Mississippi manages many resources with the objective of caring for the land and serving people. Management protects natural resource values, public health and safety, and is consistent with the Forest land and resource management goals outlined in the Forest Plan. In order to meet these objectives, permits may be required for the occupancy and use of Forest Service land or resources. Additionally, passes assist is funding certain management projects or activities.

Please contact the appropriate Ranger District Office for more details and information about how to get a permit.


Recreation Passes and Permits

The Forest Service offers many activities such as hiking, biking, skiing, camping, birding, using cabins, driving for pleasure, harvesting mushrooms, and gathering firewood. Many of the facilities and services associated with these opportunities are free. Some do require fees or permits to help maintain, manage and improve the amenities that you enjoy.

To make the best choice on which pass to purchase, you should think about your recreation plans for the next year. You have options such as buying a single day pass, a multi-day pass, or even an annual pass that covers a forest or region. If you plan to recreate in many different spots across the nation, an Interagency Annual Pass may be your best value. You may also qualify for one of the Interagency Lifetime Passes (Interagency Senior Pass or Interagency Access Pass).

Forest Products Permits

Firewood and Other products are not Special Use Permits and are covered under different authorities. Collecting firewood or other products for personal use is available on many National Forests. These activities may require a permit. Contact your National Forests in Mississippi office first to see if they offer permits. Remember, all commercial uses or removal of products on public lands require a permit.

Event and Commercial Permits

Recreation events are commercial activities requiring temporary, authorized use of NFS land. Examples of recreation events include, but are not limited to, animal, bicycle, motocross, or triathalon races; jeep rallies; dog trials; fishing contests; rendezvous; rodeos; adventure games; youth treks; wagon trains; concerts; and other similar events. A permit is required for these type of events, regardless of the number of people involved in the activity.

Other Permits

A Special Use Permit grants rights or privileges of occupancy and use to the holder. Examples include reserving a public site for a wedding party, or holding a bicycle race on public lands. These permits contain specific terms and conditions that the holder must follow.

Before Special Use Permits are issued, the Forest Service must determine that the proposed use complies with all management plans and laws, that there is a demonstrated need for the activity, and that the use is appropriate on national forest system lands. Special Use Permits are a temporary authority.

Complete regulations on special use permits and recreation events on national forests are published at 36 CFR 251. You may obtain copies from your local Forest Service office, law library, or by visiting the National Archives & Records Administration's Code of Federal Regulations home page at Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) Main Page