A Forest Ranger poses with a childWelcome to the great outdoors! We offer a variety of job opportunities—both paid and unpaid—ranging from student and volunteer programs to full-time employment for men and women with skills in many areas.

All current Forest Service job vacancies are posted on usajobs.gov. The web-based applications of usajobs.gov provide an opportunity for job candidates to create a profile, search for jobs, sign-up for vacancy announcements, apply for jobs, and check the status of jobs for which they have applied. 

Before Forest Service job announcements are posted on the national site usajobs.gov, most permanent job opportunities can be found in the US Forest Service Outreach Database giving interested applicants an opportunity to learn more about the job requirements, duties, and duty station before the opening date of the vacancy announcement.

How do I apply for Permanent Employment?

What can you do in advance to prepare?

  1. Get familiar with USAJobs by reviewing: How to Apply for a Job on USAJobs on www.fs.fed.us.
  2. Create an account on USAJOBS website.  https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Account
  3. Use the USAJobs tool to create a profile and resume.
  4. Post all relevant documents to your USAJob account, i.e. resume, current transcripts, letters of recommendations, and veterans preference documentation.
  5. Sign-up for e-mail notifications for Forest Service job postings using the “save search” function in your USAJobs profile.

All permanent jobs are advertised through the usajobs website. You can search the current job vacancy announcements by agency, location, salary range, or by "series" (a system that identifies the type of work). Some positions are only open to current Federal Employees; only the jobs open to everyone will be shown in the search results.

How do I apply for Temporary (Seasonal) Employment?

Every Year, the Forest Service hires thousands of temporary (mostly summer) employees for a variety of jobs, most of them in the field. Many positions are advertised on the usajobs site once a year in the fall or winter.

During the seasonal hiring process available jobs are posted on the Rocky Mountain regional website. Connect with your local ranger district office to find out more about opportunities at Nebraska National Forests & Grasslands.

What do I need to know about Fire and Aviation Employment?

The Forest Service employs approximately 10,000 wildland firefighters. Positions range from entry-level firefighter to senior fire management positions in areas such as: Wildland Firefighters, Helitack crews, Hotshot/Handcrew, Fire Suppression, Engine crew,  Smokejumpers, Fuels management & more. 

Wildland firefighters may be required to work long hours in challenging and changing conditions, such as high temperatures and steep terrain. A career in wildland fire has many rewards, including the opportunity to work in some of the most beautiful places in the country and create friendships that last a lifetime.

Learn more about opportunities for jobs in wildland fire

Read Frequently Asked Questions about becoming a wildland firefighter. 

What are the Opportunities for Students and Recent Graduates?

Career Opportunities

The Forest Service has a wide breadth of career fields, appealing to both outdoor and indoor enthusiasts alike. Below are a sample of the many career areas available with the Forest Service:

  • Fire Management
  • Engineering
  • Land Surveying
  • Recreation
  • Visitor Information
  • Heritage Resources
  • Natural Resources
  • Archaeology
  • Wildlife Biology
  • Hydrology
  • Timber
  • Rangeland Management
  • Geographic Information Science
  • Human Resources
  • Administrative Support
  • Budgeting
  • Contracting
  • Law Enforcement
  • Information Technology
  • Public Affairs
  • Partnerships

The United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) prohibits discrimination in all its programs and activities on the basis of race, color, national origin, gender, religion, age, disability, political beliefs, sexual orientation, and marital or familial status. (Not all prohibited bases apply to all programs.) Persons with disabilities who require alternative means for communication of program information (Braille, large print, audiotape, etc.) should contact the USDA's TARGET Center at (202)720-2600 (voice or TDD). To file a complaint of discrimination write USDA, Director, Office of Civil Rights, Room 326-W, Whitten Building, 14th and Independence Ave., SW, Washington, DC 20250-9410 or call (202)720-5964 (voice or TDD). USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer. 

Related Links

Forest Service Firefighters pose for camera

Forest Service Firefighters

Forest Service Employee Given Award

Forest Service Employee Receives Award