Event/Commercial Permits

The Forest Service authorizes (permits) the private use of National Forest land for a variety of reasons, including recreation cabins, ski areas, resorts, outfitter guide such as pack stations, communication sites, etc.

Some group activities and some recreation events may require a Special Use Permit. A Special Use Permit grants rights or privileges of occupancy and use to the holder. Examples include reserving a public site for a wedding party, or holding a bicycle race on public lands. These permits contain specific terms and conditions that the holder must follow.

Before Special Use Permits are issued, the Forest Service must determine that the proposed use complies with all management plans and laws, that there is a demonstrated need for the activity, and that the use is appropriate on national forest system lands. Special Use Permits are a temporary authority.

For information regarding the administration of existing special use permits or obtaining a new special use permit, please call the special uses person at one of our office locations.


Commercial Filming and Photography

Aerial photograph of California

Like other commercial uses of public lands or resources, commercial filming and photography requires a Special Use Permit, which is issued by the Authorized Officer of the relevant forest.