History & Culture

History of the Rogue River-Siskiyou National Forest

31-w-5-10-mt-mcloughlin-from-big-elk-1913.jpgThe 1.1 million-acre Siskiyou National Forest was established in 1906 during the Teddy Roosevelt administration. The 630,000 acre Crater National Forest emerged two years later in 1908. In 1932, the Crater National Forest was re-named the Rogue River National Forest to eliminate confusion created by being located adjacent to Crater Lake National Park.

The two forests were combined in 2004 and now form the present-day 1.8 million-acre Rogue River-Siskiyou National Forest. Historically, the two forests established outlying ranger stations and guard stations to conduct the early business of the Forest. The primary focus at that time involved trail construction and fire prevention and suppression. Other duties included boundary surveys, managing sheep and cattle grazing allotments, administering, mining activities, and developing timber production.


Historic Photographs, Local and Regional!

Historic Photographs of the RRSNF

54-y-5-7-2-rogue-river-above-woodruff-bridge-ca-1930.jpg

Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC)

01-0013-p1-53-shasta-costa-ranger-station-siskiyou-nf-july-1922.jpg

Historic Smokey Bear

Historic Smokey

     

Regional Fire Lookouts

28-w-3-08-old-baldy-lookout-1942.jpg

More on Flicker!

Flickr logo

 



https://www.fs.usda.gov/main/rogue-siskiyou/learning/history-culture