Black Diamond Landscape Resiliency and Risk Reduction Project

The Forest Service proposes a suite of management tools to improve and maintain a resilient landscape, facilitate fire adapted communities, and improve wildfire response.

The project would authorize treatments to meet the proposed strategies for mitigating risk to communities, wildlife, watersheds and other values at risk from high-severity wildfires. The project includes nearly 257,898 acres of land with 190,177 (74%) acres being National Forest System land, and the remaining 67,842 (26%) acres of the land comprising local, State or private ownership. Although treatments may be collaboratively implemented across ownership boundaries, the Forest Service's proposal would only authorize activities on National Forest System lands.

A 30-day comment period was held March 4, 2023 - April 4, 2023, which followed a scoping period when the Forest received initial input from those interested in the project. Project documents, including the final Environmental Assessment and draft Decision Notice and Finding of No Significant Impact are available below.

The Black Diamond Landscape Resiliency and Risk Reduction Project is an activity implementing a land management plan. This activity is subject to pre-decisional objection under subparts A and B of 36 CFR Part 218. Objections, including attachments, must be filed with the appropriate reviewing officer within 45 calendar days following publication of this notice in the Fort Collins Coloradoan, the newspaper of record. The publication date in the newspaper of record is the exclusive means for calculating the time to file an objection. Objectors should not rely upon dates or timeframe information provided by any other source. It is the objector?s responsibility to ensure timely filing of a written objection with the reviewing officer pursuant to 36 CFR 218.9.

Objections will only be accepted from those who have previously submitted specific written comments regarding the proposed project during scoping or other designated opportunities for public comment in accordance with 36 CFR 218.5(a). Issues raised in objections must be based on previously submitted timely, specific written comments regarding the proposed project unless the issue is based on new information arising after the designated comment opportunities.

The objection must contain the minimum content requirements specified in 36 CFR 218.8(d) and incorporation of documents by reference is permitted only as provided in 36 CFR 218.8(b). Objections that do not adhere to these requirements make review of an objection difficult and are conditions under which the reviewing officer may set aside an objection pursuant to 36 CFR 218.10. All objections are available for public inspection during and after the objection process. You can submit your objections online by selecting "Comment/object on Project" on the right of the screen.

To view a recording of the public webinar from the scoping period and track project updates, visit the project's Story Map.

Location Summary

NFS lands from the Colorado-Wyoming border south to the northern perimeter of the Cameron Peak Fire burn area; from the Forest eastern administrative boundary west to the Rawah Wilderness boundary.

District: Canyon Lakes Ranger District

Project Documents

Use the widget below to browse documents associated with this project. Cookies must be enabled to use this tool.

If you are using a mobile device, the setting for "Allow cross-website tracking" must also be enabled to view the documents. You do not need to sign up or login to Box to view documents, but if you have difficulty accessing the documents on a mobile device, you may choose to sign up for a free account, download the app to your device and log in to ensure that you can open the documents.

Alternatively, these documents can be accessed on the Pinyon Public website: View Documents on Pinyon Public