Search Data Catalog
Browse by Subject
Research Data Archive
US Forest Service
Attn: Dave Rugg
1 Gifford Pinchot Drive
Madison, WI 53726–2366
- Spatial wildfire occurrence data for the United States, 1992-2015 [FPA_FOD_20170508] (4th Edition)
- Short, Karen C.
- Publication Year:
- How to Cite:
- These data were collected using funding from the U.S. Government and can be used without additional permissions or fees. If you use these data in a publication, presentation, or other research product please use the following citation:
Short, Karen C. 2017. Spatial wildfire occurrence data for the United States, 1992-2015 [FPA_FOD_20170508]. 4th Edition. Fort Collins, CO: Forest Service Research Data Archive. https://doi.org/10.2737/RDS-2013-0009.4
- This data publication contains a spatial database of wildfires that occurred in the United States from 1992 to 2015. It is the third update of a publication originally generated to support the national Fire Program Analysis (FPA) system. The wildfire records were acquired from the reporting systems of federal, state, and local fire organizations. The following core data elements were required for records to be included in this data publication: discovery date, final fire size, and a point location at least as precise as Public Land Survey System (PLSS) section (1-square mile grid). The data were transformed to conform, when possible, to the data standards of the National Wildfire Coordinating Group (NWCG). Basic error-checking was performed and redundant records were identified and removed, to the degree possible. The resulting product, referred to as the Fire Program Analysis fire-occurrence database (FPA FOD), includes 1.88 million geo-referenced wildfire records, representing a total of 140 million acres burned during the 24-year period.
- biota; geoscientificInformation; location; Fire; Fire detection; wildfire; Fire Program Analysis; United States
- Data Access:
- View metadata (HTML)
- View file index (HTML) which lists all files in this data publication and a short description of their contents
- Choose from the multiple file formats available for this data publication. Each download includes metadata, file index, data files, and any other supplemental files provided by the author
- Access map service
Need information about Using our Formats?