Stub Creek Recreation Cabin & Visitor Office

Area Status: Open
This area is Open

A photo of the ranger’s log cabin house, with a fireplace and a front porch.

The Stub Creek Ranger Station was originally used as housing for the district ranger’s family and crew quarters for summer employees. Some of the buildings on site were constructed as early as 1905. The ranger’s log cabin house - now available for rental during the summer and fall months - was completed by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) around 1936, and is considered significant as a representative of the first use of hewn face logs, later to become a standard design in the U.S. Forest Service. The cabin has a fireplace, heat and lights indoor plumbing, modern kitchen appliances, and two bedrooms. Maximum occupancy is no more than five people. There is also an information office on-site staffed by volunteers.

Reservations are required. Make your reservations at 

At a Glance

Operational Hours: Visitor Center is open June 1 to September 30. Open 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Reservations: Reservations are required. Make your reservations at or by calling 1-877-444-6777 as early as 180 days in advance and at least 4 days prior to arrival.
Fees $125/night + reservation administrative fees.
Open Season: 6/1
Usage: Medium
Restrictions: Two-night minimum stay, 14-night maximum stay. Camping outside the cabin is not allowed.
Closest Towns: Fort Collins, CO
Water: Yes
Restroom: Flush Toilet
Operated By: Forest Service
Information Center: Canyon Lakes Ranger District, 970-295-6700

General Information


From Fort Collins, CO take highway 287 north approximately 10 miles. Turn left (west) onto Highway 14 (Poudre Canyon) and travel 60 miles. Turn north (right) onto County Road 103 (Laramie River Road). Follow this gravel road 16 miles and turn left at the tee-intersection onto County Road 190. Travel two miles to the gate at Stub Creek.

Recreation Map

Map showing recreational areas. Map Information


Camping & Cabins

Show detail SHOW

Outdoor Learning

Hide detail HIDE

Visitor Centers

Originally used as a seasonal ranger station before the Civilian Conservation Corps era to administer what was then the Laramie River subdistrict, the site includes several buildings.  The entrance building is currently used to provide visitors with information on the national forest. It is staffed during the summer and early fall months by volunteers.