Brookchar Campground is tucked on the banks of Big Lake in the White Mountains of eastern Arizona. The campground is a small, tent-only facility comprised entirely of walk-in sites. Of the lake's five campgrounds, Brookchar is nearest to the water. The stocked lake draws anglers, and boat rentals and a boat ramp make it easy for campers to enjoy the lake's blue waters.
The campground sits in the Apache-Sitgreaves National Forest at an elevation of 9,100 feet. The area is scenic, forested with ponderosa pine, fir, spruce and aspen, interspersed with high elevation meadows. Summer temperatures are pleasant and cool, a nice respite from the heat of lower deserts. Visitors should come prepared for afternoon thunderstorms and cool nighttime temperatures.
Big Lake is one of Arizona's top trout fishing lakes, with rainbow, cutthroat, brook and Apache trout being the most sought-after species. The recreation area is also popular for hiking, mountain biking, horseback riding, birding and wildlife viewing.
- The facility is small, with 12 tent-only, walk-to campsites.
- Campfire rings and restrooms are provided.
- A campground host resides on-site for visitor assistance.
- A dump station, store, firewood, gas, food and boat rentals are located a short, half-mile drive away.
- Showers are just 1 mile away.
At a Glance
|Current Conditions:||Water available. Showers and restrooms open.|
|Reservations:||Make a reservation at Recreation.gov.|
|Area Amenities:||Boat ramp,Tent camping,Picnic tables,Toilets,Drinking water|
|Fees:||Per vehicle per night $16.00
Additional Camp Unit fees collected at the campground.
*Additional Camp Unit $16.00
Interagency/Senior Discount $8.00 EZ Camping Tent Sites Per night $55.00
Reservation Fee $10.00
|Best Season:||Mid-May through September.|
|Closest Towns:||Springerville, AZ|
|Information Center:||Springerville Ranger District
TTY: (928) 333-5397
Brookchar Campground is located in the Big Lake Recreation Area.
From Eagar: Go 5 miles west on State Route 260 turn south on State Route 261 go 29 miles to Sate Route 273, turn west go about 3 miles, Big Lake Recreational Area will be on the west side.
From Show Low, Arizona: take Highway 260 east for 42 miles to Highway 273. Take Highway 273 south for 30 miles Big Lake Recreational Area will be on the west side.
- Full service store at the lake
- Campground hosts
- Fire rings, grills, and picnic tables
- Dump station
- No electric hookups
- Pets must be restrained or on a leash
- No fee camping after mid-October
- Because of the high elevation be prepared for cool nighttime temperatures and expect rain, often heavy, through July and August.
Map showing recreational areas. Map Information
13 units, tents only
Lake and Pond Fishing
Excellent fishing for trout in the lake.