Sheep Mountain Lookout
Perched atop a forested mountain, the historic Sheep Mountain fire lookout offers a unique recreation experience - one of few fire lookouts in the region available for overnight rental. Constructed in 1950 atop Sheep Mountain at an elevation of 9,600 feet, the lookout was historically occupied as a fire lookout until the early 1970s.
At a Glance
|Current Conditions:||No water or trash collection|
|Operational Hours:||Checkin/Checkout is 11am.|
|Reservations:||Cabin can be reserved by calling Toll Free 1-877-444-6777 (International 518-885-3639 or TDD 877-833-6777) or on-line.|
|Fees:||$50 per night.|
|Permit Info:||Entry is by combination lock: contact the Ranger District at (307) 684-7806 during business hours (Monday-Friday 8:00AM-4:30PM) for the combination.|
|Restrictions:||14 day stay limit, cabin sleeps 2 people|
|Closest Towns:||Buffalo, WY|
|Water:||No - bring potable water|
|Operated By:||Forest Service|
|Information Center:||Renters must leave the cabin clean for the next visitor, Powder River Ranger District|
From Buffalo, WY, take Hwy 16 west approx 28 miles. Turn right on to Forest System Road (FSR) 28. Lookout is at the end of the road.
This facility is accessed via a single lane gravel road passable by most vehicles during dry summer days. However, due to sudden changes in weather conditions, it is recommended to have a 4-wheel drive vehicle.
- There is no potable water at the cabin; renters must bring their own water.
- There is no house keeper, so all renters are to clean the cabin before they leave. Green cleaning supplies are located in the kitchen.
- There is no indoor plumbing; there is an outhouse near the lookout.
- There is no electricity provided.
- The lookout sleeps up to two people.
- The lookout is locked, so renters must call our office 307-684-7806 between, 8 to 4:30 Monday through Friday to get the combination for the lock.
- The lookout is available June through October; however, rentals are limited to 14 consecutive days.
- This area is a popular destination point, so complete privacy should not be expected.
What renters need to bring:
- Cooking and eating utensils (the nearest grocery store is in Buffalo 28 miles)
- Trash bags - Pack it in and out. No trash service at the cabin.
Provided at the cabin:
- Bed (one twin bunk bed set)
- Table with 2 chairs
- Small cabinet
- First aid kit and fire extinguisher
- Cleaning supplies
Map showing recreational areas. Map Information
General Info:General Notes
|Reservation Info||Cabin can be reserved by calling Toll Free 1-877-444-6777 (International 518-885-3639 or TDD 877-833-6777) or on-line.|
|Maximum Number of People||Lookout sleeps 2-4 people.|
|Rental info:||Must call to get combo for lock, 307-684-7806.|