Custer Peak Fire Lookout


The Custer Peak Lookout is still in use by the Forest Service as a fire lookout. The first lookout was built in 1911 as a small cabin on a platform. In 1916 it had wrap-around windows installed. In 1923 a cupola-style lookout replaced the cabin and was used until 1941-42 when the Civilian Conservation Corps constructed the lookout you see today, using natural materials to help match the natural surroundings.

The structure was designed by architect William Ellis Groben. He was the office architect for the U.S. Forest Service from 1933-1953. The cab is 14 ft. by 14 ft. surrounded by a catwalk. Originally, the tower had a telephone line that ran between Custer Peak and the Bull Dog Ranch.

The tower is considered eligible for the National Register of Historic Places. It was listed on the National Historic Lookout Register on Oct. 13, 1990.

 Tower Brochure (.pdf)

Recreation Map

Map showing recreational areas. Map Information

Activities

Interpretive Areas

Recreation Areas

Recreation Activities

Location

 
  Latitude : 
44.24425

  Longitude : 
-103.735