Putt Putt Trail
Difficulty: Easy Trail Use: Heavy
Length: 4.21 miles from Nelson Drive Trailhead to junction with Cache Cr Road
Elevation: 6368 ft at Nelson Dr T.H., 6643 ft at jct with Crystal Butte Trail, 6673 ft at jct with Woods Canyon Trail, 6877 ft at upper jct with Cache Cr Road
Open to: Hikers, Equestrian, Mt Bikes
- From Nelson Drive Trailhead, the trail winds up through aspen and sagebrush, switchbacking several times. It continues climbing until coming out into the open at the Woods Canyon Junction. The trail continues through open sagebrush with beautiful views of town and the upper drainage.
- The trail continues to wind through sections of open sagebrush, aspen stands, and lodgepole forest sections. The grade is fairly mellow as it winds in and out of drainages, with several connector trails heading back down to the main Cache Cr Road.
- The trail finally comes out across from the Hagen Trail junction on the Cache Cr Road.
- There are several connections you can make from the trail down to the Cache Cr Road, meaning you can do small loops of whatever size you choose. A popular loop is the Putt Putt Trail to the Hagen Trail and back or vice versa. From Hagen you can connect to Ferrins, or Sink or Swim, or many other trails in the Greater Snow King Area. You can also continue a short ways up the road to the Game Cr Trail for a larger loop. See the Snow King Trail map for other loop ideas.
- This is a heavily used, multi-use trail. Please be respectful, keep your speeds in check if biking, and follow the right- of-way rules.
- Please keep your dogs under control, pick up the poo, and use a leash during the winter months.
- Always check the kiosk at the Trailhead for important information pertinent to the trail.
- This trail is located on the USGS quad map for Cache Cr. For a map of the Snow King Trails click here.
At a Glance
|Current Conditions:||Call Tim Farris, Trail Supervisor @ 307-739-5414 for current trail conditions.|
|Restrictions:||Trail is open year round to non-motorized travel but has a leash law during the winter months. For more information click here.|
There are two main trailheads for Putt Putt Trail. To access from Nelson Drive: Head down Broadway through the town square, past the hospital, towards the Elk Refuge Road. Take a right on Nelson Drive and go down a minute or so and take your first left. Head up the hill and take your next left onto the small dirt road and you’ll see the trailhead directly ahead.
To access from Cache Cr Road: Head down Broadway, through the town square, to the hospital. Take a right at the stop sign onto Redmond Drive. Follow this down a few minutes, climb a little bit up the hill and take the left onto Cache Cr Drive. Follow this a few minutes, the road will turn to dirt and you’ll go up another small hill. On the left you’ll see a kiosk and small parking area. This is the main trailhead for Putt Putt Trail.