Zuni Mt. Historic Auto Tour Interpretive Site
Self guided tour with 18 interpretive sites along Forest System roads in the Zuni Mountains.
At a Glance
|Current Conditions:||Closed due to extreme fire danger|
|Restrictions:||Check the local weather and road conditions prior to your trip. No roads on this route are paved, so please use caution when traveling. Four wheel drive vehicles are recommended.|
|Closest Towns:||Grants, NM Thoreau, NM|
|Restroom:||Vault Toilet (1)|
|Operated By:||Forest Service|
The Zuni Mountain Historic Auto Tour begins at the Museum of Mining in Grants on Santa Fe Avenue (Route 66). Follow Santa Fe Avenue west to State Road 53, cross over Interstate-40, and turn right onto Zuni Canyon Road. Follow Zuni Canyon Road to the Forest boundary to begin the self-guided interpretive tour.
A brochure is available at the Mt. Taylor Ranger District or the Mining Museum.
Map showing recreational areas. Map Information
Self-guided auto tour begins and ends in Grants, NM with 18 interpretive stops at points of interest along the 60-mile route.
Alerts & Warnings
- Forest Closure Order for Mt. Taylor, Mountainair, and Sandia Ranger Districts
- 03-0723 Kiowa/Rita-Blanca Stage II Fire Restrictions
- 03-0722 Black Kettle/McClellan Creek Areas Stage II Fire Restrictions
- 03-0719 Lake Marvin & McClellan Creek Areas Stage II Fire Restrictions
- Discharging a firearm, air rifle, or gas gun