Valhalla Recreation Area
The Valhalla Recreation Area is nestled amongst the tree covered rolling hills of Bayfield County, Wisconsin. This recreation area encompasses both motorized and non-motorized trail systems meandering through hardwood and pine forests. The Valkyrie and Teuton Trails are primarily managed for cross-country skiing, and snowshoeing during the winter months. During the rest of the year, hiking, mountain biking, horseback riding and picnicking are popular activities. The chalet is open year-round for your enjoyment.
There is a large chalet that has an open fire place and a large barrel stove. This is a great place to warm-up on a cold winter day or gather with family and friends for a picnic. The chalet has picnic tables and electricity. There is limited firewood provided so you may want to bring your own. There is also a vault toilet outside the chalet.
At the trailhead there is a warming room with a wood stove and vault toilets. There is limited firewood provided so you may want to bring your own. The Valhalla and Bayfield Connector snowmobile and ATV trails traverse through this area year round. The non-motorized and motorized trails intersect with roads at various locations.
At a Glance
|Current Conditions:||The recreation area and warming shelter are open. Current ski trail conditions are available on the weekly trails report.|
|Fees:||There is a $5 day use pass for this recreation site. The Forest also has an annual pass available for $30. The USDA Forest Service honors all four Interagency Recreation Passes that may be applied at National Park Service, Bureau of Land Management, Bureau of Reclamation and U.S. Fish and Wildlife sites charging recreation use fees.|
|Information Center:||Washburn Ranger District|
From Washburn, go northwest on County Hwy C for approximately 8.5 miles. The main trailhead with chalet and warming room is on the left hand side of the highway.
- 10.2 miles of groomed trails for both classic & skate skiing on the Teuton Trails
- 11.1 miles of groomed trails for classic cross-country skiing on the Valkyrie Trails. Snowshoes on Loops A, B and Little A this season.
- Annual Forest Pass, Interagency Pass (Senior, Military, etc.) or payment of the daily user fee is required.
- Dogs are prohibited on groomed ski trails during the winter ski season. In the off season, dogs are allowed on the ski trails, but must be on a leash at all times.
- Parking area and facilities open from 6 AM to 10 PM daily. Other rules and regulations are posted.
- Main chalet and warming room with picnic tables & benches inside.
- Main parking area
- Rest rooms near chalet and warming room
- Snowmobile and ATV trail access from the parking area
Map showing recreational areas. Map Information
Alerts & Warnings
- Safety reminders for hunting season
- Closure on Forest Road 1666 (Black Lake Road) for motorized vehicles
- Closure on Iron River Trail between FR236 and FR242
- Trail Closure Order 09-13-23-02 Terminated
- Closure on Pipeline 4x4 Challenge Trail
- Aquatic Invasive Species decontamination required at Lake Owen and Two Lakes
- Closure Order (Lakewood-Laona, 2019 windstorm)