Aspen Nature Loop Trail No. 73
Bring your camera on this spectacular 2.5 mile hike. Situated on sloping meadows and open glades high on the western slope of the San Francisco Peaks, the Aspen Nature Loop Trail affords unhindered views of the volcanic field to the west and the Grand Canyon to the north. The Peaks loom high above with fine views of the nearby Arizona Snowbowl.
Beginning at the Humphreys Trailhead and branching west, the way leads through micro habitats where sun-loving wildflowers and grasses alternate with shade plants and ferns along the trail’s winding, 300-foot elevation change. Birds of the open glades abound: flickers, jays, juncos, and warblers. Aspen, spruce, and pine stand along the trail, including several large bristlecones. Higher up the Peaks, these trees can live well over a thousand years!
Completed in 2007 and modified in 2019 by the Forest Service in cooperation with the City of Flagstaff, Coconino County, Flagstaff Biking, Arizona Trail Association, Coconino Trail Riders, CREC, and Gore Corporation, the trail offers opportunities to learn about northern Arizona’s volcanoes, habitat extremes, and all the ways we protect and enjoy our beloved Peaks.
Hover mouse over photo to show slideshow controls. Photos on Flickr.
At a Glance
|Best Season:||May thru November|
|Closest Towns:||Flagstaff, AZ|
|Operated By:||Flagstaff Ranger District - 928-526-0866|
Location: north of Flagstaff on US 180 seven miles and seven miles up Snowbowl Road
Access: From Flagstaff drive north on US 180 for 7 miles to FR 516, the Snowbowl Road. Drive 7.4 miles on this paved road and turn left into the lower parking lot of the Snowbowl facility. The trailhead is located at the north end of the parking lot.
GPS (Map): 35°19'52.5"N 111°42'44.7"W
- Forest Service Topo Map (FSTopo Geo-enable PDF)
- Humphreys Peak (351511137) [PDF]
- Arizona National Scenic Trail Passage 34: San Francisco Peaks (AZT-34) [PDF, aztrail.org]
- More Maps:
- Arizona Trail Passages: Maps and Descriptions
- USDA FSGeodata Clearinghouse: Arizona FSTopo Maps available for download in Geo-enabled PDF and GeoTIFF formats. Note: USGS 7.5 Minute (1:24K) Topo Maps and FSTopo Maps use the same title.
- USFS Store: Map Locator & Downloader purchase or download USGS topographic maps. Note: USGS 7.5 Minute (1:24K) Topo Maps and 1:24K FSTopo Maps use the same title.
Rating: easy to moderate
Hiking time: up to an hour
Note: no motorized vehicle use
Arizona Trail Note: This trail intersects the San Francisco Peaks (South) #34 of the Arizona Trail [AZ Trail]. Visit the Arizona Trail Association website for maps and information for this National Scenic Trail.
Leave No Trace: Recognize your role in preserving wildlands by practicing these Leave No Trace principles:
- Plan ahead and prepare.
- Travel and camp on durable surfaces.
- Dispose of waste properly.
- Leave what you find.
- Minimize campfire impacts.
- Respect wildlife.
- Be considerate of other visitors.
- You're sharing the trail with others; be safe and courteous.
- Observe regulations; stay on designated trails and avoid muddy areas and vegetation.
- All users yield to equestrians; mountain bikers yield to all others.
- Keep pets leashed at all times.
Map showing recreational areas. Map Information