Broken Arrow Trail No. 125
Broken Arrow Trail is an easy and popular hike on a good trail with great red rock scenery. The trail is unshaded and can be hot in summer. Begin at the signed trailhead which will direct you across the jeep road to the trail. After 200 feet, the trail bears left (south) and soon crosses a ledge at the foot of Battlement Mesa. At 0.6 miles, look for the fence around Devil's Dining Room Sinkhole 100 feet to the left and downhill.
Explore, then return to the trail and continue as it gradually climbs to some scenic red rock outcrops beside Twin Buttes on the right. Continue to the end of the trail at Chicken Point at 1½ miles. More great views. Return by the same route. At 0.5 mile from Chicken Point, take the short side path to the right signed for Submarine Rock. Walk this interesting formation, and then return by the same path to the main trail. Continue north to complete the hike of about 3.5 miles (roundtrip including Submarine Rock). The adjacent roads are used by Jeep tours.
At a Glance
General InformationGeneral Notes:
Hiking Time: 2.5 hours round-trip
Notes: This trail is heavily used by mountain bikes.
Location: 30 miles south of Flagstaff in scenic Red Rock Country.
Access: From the junction of Routes 89A and 179 in Sedona, take 179 south 1.4 miles to Morgan Road on the left (east). Go .6 miles to the end of the pavement, cross the cattle guard and continue for another 80 yards to trailhead parking on the left.
GPS (Map): 34°50'44.0"N 111°45'24.7"W
- Red Rock Country Maps: Download Red Rock Country trail maps and find other Sedona recreation resources. See the Sedona Southeast map for this trail.
- The Digital Travel Map Whether you're driving, hiking, riding, or exploring, you will find this full-color, GPS-enabled map a handy reference to have on your mobile device. The map show trails, recreation sites, major landmarks, and forest roads.
- Forest Service Topo Map (FSTopo Geo-enable PDF)
- More Maps:
- Arizona Trail Passages: Maps and Descriptions
- USDA FSGeodata Clearinghouse: Arizona FSTopo Maps available for download in Geo-enabled PDF and GeoTIFF formats. Note: USGS 7.5 Minute (1:24K) Topo Maps and FSTopo Maps use the same title.
- USFS Store: Map Locator & Downloader purchase or download USGS topographic maps. Note: USGS 7.5 Minute (1:24K) Topo Maps and 1:24K FSTopo Maps use the same title.
Click map graphic for PRINTABLE view.
Map showing recreational areas. Map Information
See Bicycle Restriction: Red Rock Country under Forest Orders for information about off-trail biking and permitted slickrock areas in the Sedona area.