Templeton, H.T., and Baldwin Trails
These recently developed trails have Cathedral Rock as their centerpiece. They are very scenic, but mostly un-shaded and can be very hot in summer.
The Templeton Trail begins off the Bell Rock Pathway just north of Bell Rock, goes under Route 179 through a tunnel and heads northwest. It intersects the H.T. Trail at 1 mile.
H.T. Trail is a 3/4 mile connector trail which goes northeast, passes under Route 179, and ends at the Bell Rock Pathway about 1/4 mile south of the Little Horse trailhead parking area. Enjoy the great views of the Chapel area rock formations and Courthouse Butte.
The Templeton Trail continues northwest and onto a shoulder of Cathedral Rock where it intersects the middle of the Cathedral Rock Trail at 2.4 miles. The Templeton Trail continues ahead over level ground and curves around the north end of Cathedral Rock where there are great views. It then descends steeply and follows beside the creek for a time. The trail ends at 3.5 miles at its intersection with the Baldwin Trail which comes in from the left through a fence line and continues ahead (see below).
The Baldwin Trail starts across the road from the south side of Red Rock Crossing (Crescent Moon) parking area near the end of the Verde Valley School Road. There is no way to drive across creek to north side of Red Rock Crossing. It heads east and soon drops down a bit to the riparian zone valley floor, near but out of sight of the creek. With many side trails accessing swim spots on Oak Creek. At 1/2 mile, it meets the end of the Templeton Trail. The Baldwin Trail forks sharply right and climbs moderately through a draw between Cathedral Rock and a red rock butte. Nice views of Cathedral Rock and back to Wilson Mountain. It levels out and then begins a gradual descent to the southwest and ends at Verde Valley School Road at 1.6 miles. Great biking trail loop.
At a Glance
|Fees:||Red Rock Pass or America the Beautiful Pass required.|
|Operated By:||Red Rock District - 928-203-2900|
- Templeton: This trail has four access points:
- Bell Rock Pathway 1/3 miles north of Bell Rock.
- Little Horse Trail parking area (Route 179 and mile post 309.8) and taking the Pathway south .3 miles to the H.T. Trail and then 3/4 miles southwest.
- Cathedral Rock Trail for 0.3 miles from its trailhead off Back O'Beyond Road.
- Baldwin Trail (described below).
- Baldwin: There are three access points for the Baldwin Trail.
- Red Rock Crossing (Crescent Moon) parking area near end of Verde Valley School Road (4.8 miles from Route 179).
- Verde Valley School Road 4.0 miles from Route 179 (no trailhead parking).
- Templeton Trail (described above).
- Bellrock Pathway (Map): 34°48'19.8"N 111°46'00.5"W
- Little Horse Trail (Map): 34°49'07.0"N 111°46'16.9"W
- Cathedral Rock (Map): 34°49'30.7"N 111°47'18.3"W
- Crescent Moon (Map): 34°49'35.7"N 111°48'25.5"W
- Red Rock Country Maps: Download Red Rock Country trail maps and find other Sedona recreation resources. See the Sedona Southeast [PDF] map for this trail system.
- Red Rock Recreation Guide [PDF]: Info on hiking, biking, camping, and more in Arizona's magnificent Red Rock Country. Download the guide or pick one up at the Red Rock Ranger District Visitor Center.
- The Digital Travel Map Whether you're driving, hiking, riding, or exploring, you will find this full-color, GPS-enabled map a handy reference to have on your mobile device. The map show trails, recreation sites, major landmarks, and forest roads.
- Forest Service Topo Map (location-enabled PDF): Sedona (344511145)
Click map thumbnail for larger view
- Templeton: 3.5 miles
- Baldwin: 1.6 miles
- H.T. (connector trail): 0.75 miles
Map showing recreational areas. Map Information