Munds Mountain Wilderness
You can get to know Red Rock Country from top to bottom in the Munds Mountain Wilderness. This 18,150 acre area stretches from the tops of Munds and Lee mountains to the bottoms of Jacks, Woods, and Rattlesnake canyons. In the high country, you'll enjoy views that stretch all the way from the floor of colorful Oak Creek Canyon to the top of the San Francisco Peaks, Arizona's highest mountain. From the trails that traverse canyon floors, you'll get an entirely different perspective on this area's red rock magnificence, looking up at crimson canyon walls set against a deep blue Arizona sky.
The area is very convenient to the villages of Sedona and Oak Creek, extending right up to the edge of their posh resorts and galleries. Within this bit of suburban wilderness you'll find two of the area's most famous and most picturesque landmarks, Courthouse Butte and Bell Rock. Many people believe there is spiritual energy in these rocks, concentrated in centers they call vortexes. Whether you follow this spiritual belief or not, you'll be one of a very few if you don't experience your own energizing bliss among these picturesque formations.
A number of trails offer access to the wilderness. Two you may want to try are Jacks Canyon Trail and the Hot Loop Trail. Both lead from canyon bottom to high overlook. Quite likely you'll have them to yourself, just you, the jackrabbits and the rest of the wildlife, that is.
Trails in Munds Mountain Wilderness
The following trails and areas are partially or completely inside the Wilderness.
At a Glance
|Red Rock District 928-203-2900
Location: 30 miles south of Flagstaff off paved state highways and graveled Forest Roads.
Access: You won't find it difficult to get to this wilderness, roads border it on three sides. Most popular access routes are: FR's 153 (Schnebly Hill Road), 179F, 179, 793, and 647.
- Red Rock Recreation Guide [PDF]: Info on hiking, biking, camping, and more in Arizona's magnificent Red Rock Country. Download the guide or pick one up at the Red Rock Ranger District Visitor Center.
- The Digital Travel Map Whether you're driving, hiking, riding, or exploring, you will find this full-color, GPS-enabled map a handy reference to have on your mobile device. The map show trails, recreation sites, major landmarks, and forest roads.
- Forest Service Topo Map (FSTopo Geo-enable PDF)
Click map thumbnail for larger view.
Attractions: Red rocks and other great scenery, hiking and horseback trails, wildlife watching
- Mechanized vehicles, including mountain bikes are prohibited in Munds Mountain Wilderness by federal law.
- Launching or landing a drone within a Wilderness Area is also prohibited by federal law.
- This area can be quite hot and dry in the summer. Please do not deface ruins or remove artifacts.
More Information: The Wilderness Institute
Day HikingRecreation areas with activity Day Hiking:
- Bell Rock Pathway / Vista
- Courthouse Butte Loop Trail
- Hot Loop Trail No. 40
- Jacks Canyon Trail No. 55
- Margs Draw Trail No. 163
- Munds Mountain Trail No. 77
- Schnebly Hill Trail No. 158
- Woods Canyon Trail No. 93