Upper Lake Mary Boat Launch & Picnic Area
Upper Lake Mary is especially popular with power boaters and water skiers because there is no motor size limit on it. The lake has northern pike, channel cat, crappie, and some trout. There are two paved boat ramps at the parking area with picnic tables, ramadas, barbeque grills, and toilets. You'll find additional picnic, boating, fishing facilities, and an accessible boat launch facilities at Lake Mary Narrows further south-east.
See Lake Mary Recreation Corridor for more recreation sites and information about the area.
At a Glance
|Current Conditions:||Low Water - Launch at Your Own Risk - Large Watercraft Not Recommended|
|Fees:||As of May 30, 2023, this area is fee-free until July 2023.
Summer Season (July through October)
|Restrictions:||See Arizona Game & Fish Department Watercraft Rules and Regulations for boating information.|
|Closest Towns:||Flagstaff, AZ|
|Passes:||Fees are required during the high-use season, generally mid-April through mid-October. Recreation Resources Management (the Concessionaire for this site) offers a seasonal pass for $50.00 accepted at the Upper Lake Mary Boat Launch and Picnic Area, Lower Lake Mary Picnic Area, and Narrows Boat Launch and Picnic Area special fee sites. The pass is only available at these sites.|
|Operated By:||Flagstaff Ranger District - 928-526-0866|
Location: 12 miles southeast of Flagstaff on a paved road. Elevation is 7,000 feet.
- Boat launch #1(Map): 35°04'22.3"N 111°31'26.9"W
- Boat launch #2 (Map): 35°04'16.4"N 111°31'19.0"W
- Dam (Map): 35°04'52.0"N 111°31'54.4"W
Access: Drive 12 miles south from Flagstaff on Forest Highway 3.
Click on map thumbnail for larger view.
Attractions: fishing/boating, picnicking, developed camping nearby, boat camping on southern shore, wildlife watching, biking, and photography.
Facilities: two boat ramps, paved parking, picnic area with picnic tables/ramadas and barbeque grills, vault toilets.
- No limit on boat motor size.
- Drinking water not available at lake.
- No swimming within 50 feet of any boat ramp [Forest Order 04-123R (PDF)]
- In the winter, the Picnic areas and Boat Launches will not have daily maintenance performed by concessionaires. All facilities will be available for fall/winter use except for one of the two toilets, which will be boarded up. The second toilet will be open but not maintained daily. Summer season begins in early May.
- Handbook of Boating Laws and Responsibilities (non-Forest Service Site)
- Vessel and Engine Restrictions in Arizona (non-Forest Service Site)
- Arizona Game and Fish Department (non-Forest Service Site)
Map showing recreational areas. Map Information