Crescent Moon Picnic Site
One of the most photographed scenes in the southwest is towering Cathedral Rock reflected in the waters of Oak Creek at Red Rock Crossing. It should come as no surprise, then, that the picnic area located at that same site is as popular as it is beautiful. People come here to fish, swim, and wade in the creek, as well as to picnic and photograph the scenery. At times it can become quite crowded. If you want the world-class beauty of Red Rock Crossing all to yourself (or nearly so) visit early in the morning or on a weekday.
Attractions: Picnicking, waterplay, wildlife watching, photography, and fishing.
At a Glance
|Reservations:||Group site reservations are accepted. Call 877-444-6777 or visit Recreation.gov Single-use sites cannot be reserved.|
|Area Amenities:||Accessible,Picnic tables,Toilets,Drinking water,Parking|
|Fees:||Cash and check only. Credit cards are not accepted.
|Best Season:||Spring through fall|
|Busiest Season:||Summer and weekends|
|Restrictions:||Day use only. Camping is not permitted at this site.|
|Closest Towns:||Sedona, AZ|
|Passes:||Every Kid Outdoors 4th Grade Pass will be honored through 2018! Only the Grand Annual Red Rock Pass and Big Three Pass are accepted here, or you may pay the daily rate at the gate. Access Interagency Pass (for people with disabilities) receive 50% off the entry fee. Other Interagency passes are not accepted here.|
|Operated By:||Concessionaire - Contact Red Rock District at 928-203-2900|
This facility has accessible picnic tables and restrooms.
Location: 37 miles south of Flagstaff, 7 miles southwest of Sedona. Elevation is 4,000 feet.
GPS (Map): 34°49'35.7"N 111°48'25.5"W
Access: Drive west from Sedona on US 89A. Just outside town, turn south on FR 216 (Upper Red Rock Loop Road). Drive about 1.5 miles and follow the signs to Red Rock Crossing. All roads except the short segment leading from Red Rock Crossing Road to the picnic area are paved.
- Red Rock Country Maps: Download Red Rock Country trail maps and find other Sedona recreation resources. See the Sedona Southwest map for this trail.
- The Digital Travel Map: This full-color, GPS-enabled map is a handy reference to have on your mobile device. The map show trails, recreation sites, major landmarks, and forest roads.
- Printed Maps: A variety of printed recreation maps for Sedona and Oak Creek Canyon can be purchased in our local offices and visitor centers, or ordered by phone.
Click map thumbnail for a larger view.
Can I hold my wedding at Crescent Moon?
Yes! However, due to high demand, weddings at Crescent Moon are by reservation only.
- For parties of 15 or fewer people (including officiant and photographer), reservations may be made by calling the concessionaire at 928-204-0028.
- Groups larger than 15 are required to rent the ramada; this may be done by calling 877-444-6777 or online at Recreation.gov.
- See "Wedding Policy for Crescent Moon"
Map showing recreational areas. Map Information
|Reservation Info||Group ramada reservations accepted at Recreation.gov, or call 877-444-6777 (toll free number), TDD at 877-833-6777.|
|Accessible:||Toilets, picnic tables|