Shedroof Divide Trail #512
This trail is a major route through the Salmo-Priest Wilderness Area. Trail runs along the ridgeline and offers spectacular views of the Wilderness area and the Selkirk Crest. Trail connects to Shedroof Cutoff Trail #511 and Thunder Creek Trail #526 to create a 14-mile loop trail system. Trail is also part of an 18-mile loop system which also includes Salmo Basin Trail #506 and Salmo Divide Trail #535. No motorized or mechanized equipment is allowed within the Wilderness area.
At a Glance
|Current Conditions:||User Defined Area Forecast Shedroof Divide Trail #512|
|Restrictions:||Wilderness use restrictions apply. Certified weed-free hay or certified weed-free hay pellets are required on National Forest lands (processed grains are okay). Motorized or mechanical equipment, including chainsaw, bike, motorcycle, hang glider or cart use prohibited in all wilderness areas. Food and wildlife attractants must be properly stored at all times.|
|Closest Towns:||Metaline Falls, WA|
|Information Center:||The trail is usually snowed in until June.|
Access #1- Salmo Trailhead: From the junction of County Road 9345 (Sullivan Lake) and Forest Road 22 (Sullivan Creek) turn east and drive 5.9 miles to the junction of Forest Road 2022000 (Upper Sullivan Creek). Follow 2022000 for 13.4 miles to the trailhead. The trailhead has a vault toilet, fire ring and two hitching posts. Parking available for trucks pulling horse trailers.
Access #2-Pass Creek Pass Trailhead: At the junction of the Sullivan Lake Road (County Road 9345) and Forest Road 22 (Sullivan Creek) turn east. Follow Forest Road 22 for 13.8 miles to the trailhead at Pass Creek Pass. Limited parking.
- USGS Map: Salmo Mountain
Map showing recreational areas. Map Information
- Due to the trail length this system is better suited for overnight use.
- Great opportunity. Length of trip varies if combining this trail with other ones in the Wilderness area. Salmo Basin Trail #506, Shedroof Divide Trail #512 and Salmo Divide Trail #535 are part of an 18 mile loop. Shedroof Cutoff Trail #511, Shedroof Divide Trail #512 and Thunder Creek Trail #526 are part of a14 mile loop.
- See Sullivan Lake Trail Guide or contact Sullivan Lake Ranger District for campsites.
- Looped trail systems are popular with horse enthusiasts.
- Variety of wildlife ranging from common whitetail deer to endangered woodland caribou and threatened grizzly bear. Other species of interest are bighorn sheep moose, elk, mountain lion, black bear, gray wolf, bald eagle and other bird species.
- High ridges with Alpine Fir, Whitebark Pine and other alpine plants.
Alerts & Warnings
- ORDER NO. 06-21-00-21-14 Public Use Restriction Stage 1
- ORDER NO. 06-21-00-21-02 Food Storage Order
- Trail update 7-20-2020
- ORDER NO. 06-00-00-20-02 Alcohol and Drug Prohibitions
- ORDER NO. 06-00-00-20-03 Explosives and Exploding Targets Prohibition
- Colville National Forest continues to restore access to closed areas
- Trout Lake trailhead