Sosebee Cove Scenic Area and Trail
Sosebee Cove is a picturesque high-elevation north facing cove forest covering 175 acres. Due to its north facing orientation, Sosebee Cove has a rich diversity of shade tolerant trees, shrubs, and wildflowers. The forest is a maturing second growth forest, although to many a visitor the area has a feeling of being old-growth. The mesic forest is characterized by very large yellow poplars (Liriodendron tulipifera) and yellow buckeyes (Aesculus flava). There are many other tree species that are more characteristic of forests to the north that are part of Sosebee Cove forest. Beautiful any time of the year, Sosebee Cover is an outstanding location for nature photography.
At a Glance
|Open Season:||Open year round|
|Closest Towns:||Blairsville is 12.8 miles, about a 20-minute drive.
Cleveland is 24.2 miles, about a 30-minute drive.
From Blairsville, GA take U.S. 129 and 19 south for about 9.5 miles. Turn right (west) on to GA 180. Go two miles to the Sosebee parking area on the right (north side) of the highway.
Map showing recreational areas. Map Information
The gently graded 1/4-mile trail gives everyone the opportunity to experience this unique forest community. The outer loop is connected in the middle providing different ways to experience the area.
Alerts & Warnings
- Before riding your UTV, Educate Yourself!
- Town Creek OHV Closed
- Flatlands Road (FSR 256 and FSR 637) Closed
- Lake Conasauga Reservation Only
- Recreation passes available online, by phone and in-person
- Road Closures on the Chattooga River Ranger District
- Coleman River Rd (FSR #54) Closure
- CAUTION Waterfall Dangers
- CALL BEFORE YOU HAUL - ATV and OHV
- Panther Creek Trail Temporary Hiker Restrictions
- Don't Move Firewood!