Hickey Gap Campground
Seated alongside the sparkling Mill Creek trout stream, and just east of the community of Crandall, GA, is a beautiful gem of a campground named after the Hickey family who once lived there.
At a Glance
|Reservations:||Reservations are not accepted. Occupancy of sites are on a first come, first served basis.|
|Open Season:||Open year-round.|
|Restrictions:||Tents must be placed on tent pads. Limited to two vehicles per campsite. Not appropriate for large groups. Road and campground access limited to recreational vehicles less than 24 feet. Quiet hours observed from 10 p.m. to 6 a.m. It is prohibited to possess, consume, receive or transport alcohol in the Hickey Gap campground, day use area and the related facilities.|
|Closest Towns:||The nearest town is Chatsworth, GA, approximately 12 miles southwest of the campground. Here campers will find restaurants, grocery stores and gas stations.|
|Water:||This campground does not offer drinking water.|
|Restroom:||1 Vault facility|
|Information Center:||Please contact the Conasauga Ranger District office at 706-695-6736.|
From Chatsworth, GA: travel north on highway 411 for 6 miles, then turn right on Grassy Street (4 lane will narrow down to 2 lanes). Travel to "T" intersection and turn right, go 100 ft. and then turn left onto Mill Creek Rd. (FS 630). Continue straight on FS 630 for approx. 6.5 miles, then turn right to enter campground at portal sign.
Map showing recreational areas. Map Information
Sumac Creek Trail, approx 15 minutes north on FS 17, is ideal for mountain biking.
Located along Mill Creek, a stocked trout stream.
- 5 campsites with parking for two vehicles
- 1 ADA accessible vault restroom
- Gravel driving loop through camping area
- Used as a stop-over for Cohutta Wilderness adventures
Standard amenities (i.e. grill, picnic tables, lantern post, etc.)
River and Stream Fishing
Hickey Gap is a popular place with anglers. Mill Creek, running through the campground, is a year round trout stream and stocked Spring through Fall.
Although there are no trails directly connected to the campground, there are a few in the vicinity, and within a half hour drive:
- Hickory Creek (8.6 miles)
- Sumac Creek Trail (12 mile loop)
- Murray's Lake (0.8)
Alerts & Warnings
- Helton Creek Falls and Trail Temporarily Closed
- Coleman River Rd (FSR #54) Closure
- CAUTION Waterfall Dangers
- Road Closures on the Chattooga River Ranger District
- CALL BEFORE YOU HAUL - ATV and OHV
- Holcomb Creek Falls trail closure
- Panther Creek Trail Temporary Hiker Restrictions
- Don't Move Firewood!