Whitetail Cabin is a registered historic site and was once used as a ranger station for the Whitetail Reserve in the early 1900's.
The cabin sleeps 4 and is furnished with a table, 4 chairs, and 2 bunk beds with mattresses.
Electric cook stove, and refrigerator, wood stove for heat, and a few cooking and eating utensils are provided.
No garbage service - pack it in, pack it out.
The Forest Service does not provide cleaning services or garbage removal for this cabin. Cleaning and trash removal is each renters responsibility and your efforts are appreciated in keeping the cabin clean for the next user.
There is also a wood burning stove and the Forest Service provides a limited supply of wood. Please let us know via the condition report when the wood supply is getting low.
There is a round pen corral facility, two hitching rails, and approximately 5 acres of fenced area to contain packing and riding livestock.
Supplemental packing and riding livestock feed must be certified weed free. Stock water available for use by livestock consumption only.
Please contact the Ashland, MT District office to find out what the current water conditions are if you plan to rent Whitetail cabin and have your horses/mules/pack-goats/etc with you.
At a Glance
|Reservations:||Cabin can only be reserved up to 180 days in advance. Maximum stay is 4 days. Reserve by Toll Free 1-877-444-6777 (International 518-885-3639 or TDD 877-833-6777) or on-line at recreation.gov|
|Fees:||$65/night with maximum stay of 4 nights|
|Best Season:||Sept - November|
|Busiest Season:||Sept. - November|
|Closest Towns:||Ashland, MT|
|Water:||No Water Available|
|Operated By:||Forest Service|
General InformationDirections: From Ashland, MT travel 5 miles east on US 212. Turn left on East Fork Otter Creek Road and go 12 miles northeast. Turn right on Forest Road 4777 and then right on Forest Road 4466. Whitetail Cabin is at the end of the road.
Map showing recreational areas. Map Information
Big Game Hunting
Small Game Hunting
OHV Road Riding
Alerts & Warnings
- Leverich Trail Closure BMW Helo Ops
- Pryor Caves Seasonal Area Closure
- Beartooth Ranger District Road and Trail Closures 01-11-82-23-05
- East Rosebud Road 2177 and East Rosebud Trail 15_Closure 01-11-82-23-03
- 01-11-04-23-03 Yellowstone Ranger District Camping Area Closure
- Road 478 Closure (South Fork Madison Road) 01-11-07-23-01
- Woody Creek Road Closure
- Hyalite Target Shooting Closure
- Road #3089, Closure, Sioux Ranger District
- McConnell Fishing Access and Beattie Gulch Area Shooting Closures
- Hyalite Drainage Proposed Permanent Recreational Target Shooting Restriction