Silver Glen Springs Recreation Area
Both a popular day-use recreation area and an important archaeological site, Silver Glen Springs showcases the delicate balance between enjoying the outdoors and preserving precious resources. With constant 73°F crystal-clear water, Silver Glen Springs is a popular swimming hole. Bring your snorkel and meet the fish face to face.
Silver Glen Springs was once a village site, and is now home to enormous middens - ancient "trash" heaps full of fossilized snail shells and ancient items of everyday lives - beneath a canopy of live oaks.
- Kayak and canoe rentals are available for a trip down Silver Glen Run.
- Boats must stay out of swimming area.
- Please keep off the middens, which are the large mounds behind the fences. These areas mark an important archeological site and sacred space for Native Americans.
Picnicking and Grilling
- 58 picnic tables and 30 pedestal grills are available for visitors to enjoy.
- Be sure to bring your snorkel, although diving or SCUBA diving are not allowed.
- Stay within the marked boundaries of the swimming area to avoid damage to sensitive underwater habitats.
- A walk around the interpretive trails brings this past to life. The 3-mile round-trip Lake George Trail meanders through the woods and often provides a cool breeze. A visit to Jody's Spring beneath a canopy of palms along the Spring Boils Trail is another enjoyable walk and only 0.75-mile round-trip.
This site is operated by Adventure Ocala.
At a Glance
|Current Conditions:||Expect full recreation sites during weekends. Have backup plans. Sites may close when capacity is reached.|
|Operational Hours:||8 a.m. to 8 p.m. daily. Hours may vary by season.|
|Reservations:||Reservation system for parking (temporarily unavailable).|
|Rentals & Guides:||Kayak and canoe rentals are available.|
|Fees:||Please visit the concessionaire Adventure Ocala website. Fees are subject to change without notification.|
|Closest Towns:||Astor and Salt Springs|
|Passes:||Ocala National Forest Springs Hopper Pass This day-use pass is $70 + tax per person and is good for 12 months from the date of purchase. It provides entrance to recreation areas managed by Adventure Ocala, which includes: Juniper Springs, Alexander Springs, Silver Glen Springs, Clearwater Lake and Wildcat Lake. Available for purchase at Alexander Springs, Juniper Springs and Silver Glen Springs.|
|Operated By:||Adventure Ocala|
General InformationGeneral Notes:
- Changing facilities near the parking area
- Drinking water available at general store (temporarily closed)
- General store (temporarily closed)
- Picnic tables and pedestal grills
- Toilets (portable toilets because of the sensitive cultural heritage and geology in the area)
Licenses and Passes
- Boating in the National Forests in Florida is regulated by the state of Florida. Please visit our boating web page before you grab your personal floatation device and head out onto the water.
- Florida requires a state license for all fishing activities. Visit our fishing web page before you grab your gear.
- Silver Glen Springs is a first magnitude spring that maintains a year round water temperature of 72 degrees Fahrenheit. The spring discharges about 65 million gallons of water per day that comes from two large vents. The spring and run encompass about 22 acres of water. The springhead is 200 feet in diamter and the spring run flows 3,300 feet into Lake George, the second largest lake in Florida.
- The water flowing from the spring has been one of the best in ecological quality from among Florida’s 600 springs. The water coming from the vents is high quality but the quality changes as the water flows into the spring run. Already designated as critical habitat for the manatee, the spring and run have the potential to serve as a major manatee refuge. However, manatee use has been limited due to a high degree of human activity and damage to aquatic vegetation.
- Bears frequent this area, and raccoons and crows are known to steal food and shiny objects left on picnic tables. Don't leave your table unattended when you go swimming!
This recreation area is especially busy on summer weekends. Be aware that the concessionaire closes the parking area when it is full.
Map showing recreational areas. Map Information