War Spur Loop Trail (Forest Trail #68)
War Spur Loop is an easy trail through the Mountain Lake Wilderness that treats hikers to a wide variety of plant life and an outstanding view. Most hikers travel the loop counter-clockwise, following the Salt Pond Mountain ridge to the overlook. In spring, you’ll see an array of wildflowers, rhododendron blooms, and flame azaleas. In fall, you’ll be surrounded by the colorful foliage and giant ferns. The overlook offers views of the Mountain Lake Wilderness, Johns Creek Mountain, and the valley below. On the return hike to the trailhead, you will walk through a rhododendron thicket and pass a number of large spruce, oak, and hemlock. Shortly before arriving at the trailhead, the War Branch Connector Trail heads north linking War Spur Loop to the Appalachian Trail and then on to Wind Rock overlook.
Trail Open To:
At a Glance
|Open Season:||Open year round|
|Restrictions:||When recreating on Forest Service Lands, follow the Forest Rules for Visitors and Forest Supervisor’s Orders.
This trail is located in the Mountain Lake Wilderness. Wilderness regulations apply. Group size is limited to 10 people and mechanized equipment, including bicycles, is not permitted.
All visitors should follow Tread Lightly and Leave No Trace guidelines.
|Closest Towns:||Pembroke, VA - Giles County|
|Water:||Drinking water is not provided. All water taken from natural sources should be purified before use.|
|Restroom:||Restrooms are not available. Leave No Trace when disposing of human waste.|
|Operated By:||Eastern Divide Ranger District: (540) 552 - 4641|
|Information Center:||For more information contact: Eastern Divide Ranger District 110 Southpark Drive Blacksburg, VA 24060. 540-552-4641 Office Hours: Monday - Friday, 8:00 - 12:00 and 12:30 - 4:30 Current weather conditions for Pembroke, VA: www.weather.gov|
From Blacksburg, VA: Follow US 460 west for 6.5 miles. Turn right on Mountain Lake Road (SR 700). Travel 3.5 miles past Mountain Lake Hotel. War Spur Trailhead is on the right.
- Trail Length: 1.70 miles
- Blazes: None
- Trail Difficulty: Easy
- Connecting Trails: War Branch Trail (Forest Trail #69)
- Elevation: 3700-3800 feet
- Trail Access Points: LAT 37.3926 LONG -80.5078
- Trail Map: It is recommended that all trail users always carry a reliable map. This trail is shown on the Interactive Visitor Map and the National Geographic/Trails Illustrated Map #788 and #787. Maps may be purchased at some local District Ranger Stations, at outdoor retail locations or by visiting the National Geographic’s Trails Illustrated website.
Map showing recreational areas. Map Information
Alerts & Warnings
- Prescribed Burn Alert- Alleghany County, Va., March 27 & 28
- Blacksburg Shooting Range Temporarily Closed
- Temporary trail detour on the Virginia Creeper Trail along Taylors Valley
- Section of Tate Road in Carroll and Grayson counties temporarily closed
- Temp Closure: Rocky Run ATV trail, Second Mountain, Long Run Rd, Vepco Rd