North Mountain Trail (Forest Trail #443)
Area Status: Open
The North Mountain Trail crosses the top of the Shenandoah Mountain at Elliott’s Knob, and travels along the Great North Mountain and into Crawford Mountain.
Trail Open To:
At a Glance
|Open Season:||Open year round|
|Closest Towns:||Buffalo Gap, VA - AUGUSTA COUNTY|
|Water:||No drinking water available. All water taken from natural sources should be purified before use.|
|Operated By:||North River Ranger District: (540) 432 - 0187|
|Information Center:||Trail is located on National Geographic/Trails Illustrated Map #791. It is recommended that all trail users carry a reliable map at all times. Maps may be purchased at some local District Ranger Stations, at outdoor retail locations or by visiting the National Geographic’s Trails Illustrated website.|
From Staunton, VA: Travel west on SR 254 thru the town of Buffalo Gap. Continue for approximately 1 mile. Turn right on SR 688 (Old Parkersburg Turnpike Road) and follow this road to the top of the mountain. North Mountain Trail is on the left. Crawford Mountain Trail is on the right.
- Trail Length: 15.12 miles
- Blazes: Yellow
- Trail Difficulty: Moderate
- Connecting Trails: FT #443A - Buffalo Springs Trail, FT #443B - Chestnut Flat Springs Trail, and FT #445 - Cold Springs Trail
- Elevation: 2184 - 4440 feet
Trail Access Points (Approximate LAT/LONG):
- LAT 38.213306 LONG -79.296061
- Lat/Long Conversion Table
- Trail Etiquette: Trail etiquette for multiple use trails calls for horses to have the right-of-way. Hikers should yield to horses. Bicyclists should yield to horses and hikers. Horse riders are responsible for the control of their horse at all times.
Map showing recreational areas. Map Information