Laurel Fork Trail (Forest Trail #206)
Laurel Fork Trail offers serene forest views along a small stream. This is a short (1.4 miles) but moderately challenging hike with some steep sections.
Trail Open To:
At a Glance
|Open Season:||Open Year Round|
|Restrictions:||When recreating on Forest Service Lands, follow the Forest Rules for Visitors and Forest Supervisor’s Orders.
Motorized use, including e-bikes, is prohibited.
All visitors should follow Tread Lightly and Leave No Trace guidelines.
|Closest Towns:||Pound, VA - Wise County|
|Water:||No drinking water available. All water taken from natural sources should be purified before use.|
|Restroom:||Vault Toilet at North Fork of Pound Resevoir Parking Lot; Open Year Round.|
|Operated By:||Clinch Ranger District: (276) 679-8370|
|Information Center:||For more information contact: Clinch Ranger District 1700 Park Avenue SW, Norton, VA 24273. 276-679-8370 Office Hours: Monday - Friday, 8:00 - 12:00 and 12:30 - 4:30 Current weather conditions for Pound, VA: www.weather.gov|
From Pound, VA: Travel north on Highway 23 to the last exit for Pound, VA, and turn left onto SR 630. Follow for 0.9 miles to the parking lot of the North Fork of Pound Reservoir. The beginning of the trail is to the left of the vault toilets adjacent to the parking lot.
- Trail Length: 1.40 miles
- Blazes: Yellow
- Trail Difficulty: Moderate
- Connecting Trails: None
- Elevation: 1580 to 1800 feet
- Trail Access Points (Approximate LAT/LONG):
- LAT 37.1239 LONG -82.6355
- Trail Etiquette: Read the Sharing the Trail & Trail Etiquette Brochure.
- Trail Map: It is recommended that all trail users always carry a reliable map. This trail is shown on the Interactive Visitor Map and the National Geographic/Trails Illustrated Map #793. Maps may be purchased at some local District Ranger Stations, at outdoor retail locations or by visiting the National Geographic’s Trails Illustrated website.
Map showing recreational areas. Map Information
Alerts & Warnings
- Some recreation sites in SW Virginia temporarily closed due to storm impacts
- Saint Mary’s River Trail will be intermittently closed in August and September
- Current Lake Moomaw Information
- Effective July 1, 2022, Virginia law permits hunting on Sunday
- Grindstone camping limited in 2022
- Temp Closure: Rocky Run ATV trail, Second Mountain, Long Run Road
- Some roads and trails closed in Rockingham County VA and Pendleton County WV