Red Fox Trail (Forest Trail #205)
Red Fox Trail is an out-and-back, moderately difficult trail through the hardwood forests on Pine Mountain. The trail is located along the historic “Fincastle Road.”
Trail Open To:
At a Glance
|Open Season:||Open Year Round|
|Restrictions:||When recreating on Forest Service Lands, follow the Forest Rules for Visitors and Forest Supervisor’s Orders.
Motorized use, including e-bikes, is prohibited. Trails are open to hiking, biking, and horseback riding.
All visitors should follow Tread Lightly and Leave No Trace guidelines.
|Closest Towns:||Pound, VA - Wise County|
|Water:||No drinking water available. All water taken from natural sources should be purified before use.|
|Restroom:||Restrooms are not available. Leave No Trace when disposing of human waste.|
|Operated By:||Clinch Ranger District: (276) 679-8370|
|Information Center:||For more information contact: Clinch Ranger District 1700 Park Avenue SW, Norton, VA 24273. 276-679-8370 Office Hours: Monday - Friday, 8:00 - 12:00 and 12:30 - 4:30 Current weather conditions for Pound, VA: www.weather.gov|
From Pound VA: Take Highway 23 north for 3.6 miles. Turn left on SR 667/Potterstown Road. Follow this for 0.6 miles. Park in the wide graveled area on the right side of SR 667, then cross the road on foot and go past the Forest Service gate. Turn left onto the old road bed and travel 0.17 miles to the trailhead on the right.
- Trail Length: 1.15 miles
- Blazes: Yellow
- Trail Difficulty: Moderate
- Connecting Trails: None
- Elevation: 1860 feet to 2260 feet
- Trail Access Points (Approximate LAT/LONG):
- LAT 37.15 LONG -82.63
- Trail Etiquette: Trail etiquette for multiple use trails calls for horses to have the right-of-way. Hikers should yield to horses. Bicyclists should yield to horses and hikers. Horse riders are responsible for the control of their horse at all times.
- Trail Map: It is recommended that all trail users always carry a reliable map. This trail is shown on the Interactive Visitor Map and the National Geographic/Trails Illustrated Map #793. Maps may be purchased at some local District Ranger Stations, at outdoor retail locations or by visiting the National Geographic’s Trails Illustrated website.
Map showing recreational areas. Map Information
Alerts & Warnings
- Some recreation sites in SW Virginia temporarily closed due to storm impacts
- Saint Mary’s River Trail will be intermittently closed in August and September
- Current Lake Moomaw Information
- Effective July 1, 2022, Virginia law permits hunting on Sunday
- Grindstone camping limited in 2022
- Temp Closure: Rocky Run ATV trail, Second Mountain, Long Run Road
- Some roads and trails closed in Rockingham County VA and Pendleton County WV