Tuscarora - Bear Wallow Trail (Forest Trail #405.2
The Potomac Appalachian Trail Club (PATC) maintains and manages the approximate 250 mile Tuscarora Trail that is located in Pennsylvania, Maryland, West Virginia, and Virginia. The trail follows an extensive route that bypasses the Appalachian Trail by following mountain ridges to the west. It connects to the Appalachian Trail at both its northern and southern ends. This complete trail was originally built as separate trails—the Tuscarora Trail in the north and the Big Blue Trail in the south. The Tuscarora Trail departs to the west from the Appalachian Trail at the top of Blue Mountain about 10 miles west of the Susquehanna River near Harrisburg, PA and rejoins the Appalachian Trail in the North District of Shenandoah National Park in Virginia.
Trail Open To:
At a Glance
|Open Season:||Open year round|
|Closest Towns:||Bentonville, VA - SHENANDOAH COUNTY|
|Water:||No drinking water available. All water taken from natural sources should be purified before use.|
|Operated By:||Lee Ranger District: (540) 984 - 4101|
|Information Center:||Trail is located on National Geographic/Trails Illustrated Map #792. It is recommended that all trail users carry a reliable map at all times. Maps may be purchased at some local District Ranger Stations, at outdoor retail locations or by visiting the National Geographic’s Trails Illustrated website.|
General InformationGeneral Notes:
- Trail Length: 3.15 miles
- Blazes: Blue
- Trail Difficulty: Moderate
- Connecting Trails: FT #408 - Massanutten Mountain National Recreation Trail
- Elevation: 1520 feet to 2080 feet
Trail Access Points (Approximate LAT/LONG):
- LAT 38.9323 LONG -78.3262
- Lat/Long Conversion Table
- Trail Etiquette: Trail etiquette for multiple use trails calls for horses to have the right-of-way. Hikers should yield to horses. Bicyclists should yield to horses and hikers. Horse riders are responsible for the control of their horse at all times.
From I-81: Take exit 296 and turn east, on Highway 55 for 1.4 miles. In Strasburg (traffic light), turn left to remain on Highway 55. Travel 5.0 miles and turn right onto SR 678 in the small community of Waterlick. The Signal Knob Parking Lot will be on your right in approximately 3.0 miles.
From I-66: Take Exit 6 (Front Royal) and proceed south on SR 340/522 for 1.3 miles until you come to a stoplight. Turn right onto Highway 55 West for 5 miles to the small community of Waterlick. Turn left onto SR 678 and go approximately 3.4 miles to the Signal Knob Parking Lot.
Map showing recreational areas. Map Information
Alerts & Warnings
- Updated: Forestwide Fire Restrictions
- Construction near Appalachian Trail
- Updated: Blasting on Peters Mountain
- Forest Service Road 95 Closure
- Regional Recreation Resource Advisory Committee Nominations Opening
- Temp Closure: Rocky Run ATV trail, Second Mountain, Long Run Rd, Vepco Rd