North River Gorge Trail (Forest Trail #538)
A scenic trail that traverses through the North River Gorge, and winds between Lookout and Trimble Mountains. The North River Gorge Trail has gentle grades but requires fording the North River nine times.
Trail Open To:
At a Glance
|Open Season:||Open year round|
|Closest Towns:||Mt Solon, VA - AUGUSTA COUNTY|
|Water:||No drinking water available. All water taken from natural sources should be purified before use.|
|Operated By:||North River Ranger District: (540) 432 - 0187|
|Information Center:||Trail is located on National Geographic/Trails Illustrated Map #791. It is recommended that all trail users carry a reliable map at all times. Maps may be purchased at some local District Ranger Stations, at outdoor retail locations or by visiting the National Geographic’s Trails Illustrated website.|
From Harrisonburg, VA: Take SR 42 south passing through the town of Bridgewater. Continue for 3.2 miles to the intersection of SR 42 and 809/747. Continue straight on 809/747 for 3.4 miles and you will come to a 4-way stop sign in the town of Mt. Solon. Continue straight on 747 for 2.3 miles to a 3-way stop sign. Continue straight for 3.4 miles to the intersection of FR 95 and FR 101. Turn left on FR 95 and travel approximately 1.25 miles. The trail is on the left. Users can park at the wide paved parking area on the left.
- Trail Length: 4.64 miles
- Blazes: Purple
- Trail Difficulty: Easy
- Connecting Trails: FT #716 - Wild Oak National Recreation Trail
- Elevation: 1650 feet to 1850 feet
Trail Access Points (Approximate LAT/LONG):
- LAT 38.360053 LONG -79.181933
- Lat/Long Conversion Table
- Trail Etiquette: Trail etiquette for multiple use trails calls for horses to have the right-of-way. Hikers should yield to horses. Bicyclists should yield to horses and hikers. Horse riders are responsible for the control of their horse at all times.
Map showing recreational areas. Map Information