Little Stony Trail (Forest Trail #331)
Little Stony Trail is a National Recreation trail that follows Little Stony Creek through a wide and deep gorge along an old narrow railroad bed. Large waterfalls can be found along this trail. It has two access points: one at the Hanging Rock Picnic Area and the other at its north end by Bear Rock Rd (Forest Road #701). This trail shares the same route as the lower of the Chief Benge Scout Trail. In some sections of the trail, hikers will need to climb over or around boulders and large rocks.
Trail Open To:
At a Glance
|Current Conditions:||Trail is subject to flash flooding during heavy rain, and conditions may vary based on recent weather events. Exercise caution, and check weather prior to your visit.|
|Open Season:||Trail is open all year.|
|Closest Towns:||Coeburn, VA - Scott County|
|Water:||No drinking water available. All water taken from natural sources should be purified before use.|
|Restroom:||Vault Toilet at Hanging Rock; Open First Saturday in April - Last Sunday in October|
|Operated By:||Clinch Ranger District: (276) 679-8370|
|Information Center:||For more information contact: Clinch Ranger District 1700 Park Avenue SW, Norton, VA 24273. 276-679-8370 Office Hours: Monday - Friday, 8:00 - 12:00 and 12:30 - 4:30 Current weather conditions for Norton, VA: www.weather.gov|
From Coeburn VA: From the intersection of Alternate 58 and Highway 72 South, follow 72 south for 3.4 miles. Turn right on SR 664/Corder Town Road and follow for 1.1 miles. Turn left on FR 700 and follow for 1.3 miles, then turn left on FR 701. It is 0.8 miles to the Falls of Little Stony parking lot.
- Trail Length: 3.00 miles
- Blazes: Yellow
- Trail Difficulty: Moderate
- Connecting Trails: FT #401 - Chief Benge Scout Trail
- Elevation: 1500 - 1900 feet
- Trail Access Points: This trail can be accessed from two trailheads:
- Hanging Rock Picnic Area
- Falls of Little Stony parking lot on Bear Rock Road, Forest Road #701
- Trail Map:It is recommended that all trail users always carry a reliable map. This trail is shown on the Interactive Visitor Map and the National Geographic/Trails Illustrated Map #793. Maps may be purchased at some local District Ranger Stations, at outdoor retail locations or by visiting the National Geographic’s Trails Illustrated website.
Map showing recreational areas. Map Information