Peters Mill Run/Taskers Gap OHV System
Known as the largest OHV trail system in the state of Virginia, Peters Mill Run and Taskers Gap OHV Trail System provides 36 miles of rugged adventure. Advanced riders will find challenges in steep, rocky and narrow trails, while others can enjoy trails that were once forest roads. All travelers will find mountain vistas, scenic rock outcroppings and the cool shade of deep forest. This trail has opportunities for Jeeps and other 4-wheeled drive vehicles, UTVs, ATVs, motorcycles, and electronic mountain bikes.
Trail open to:
At a Glance
|Current Conditions:||Please note the updated open season.|
|Operational Hours:||The operational hours and status of Peters Mill Run/Taskers Gap OHV System is subject to current weather conditions. Always call the Lee Ranger District at 540 984-4101 prior to arriving at this recreation area to check for weather related closures.|
|Permit Info:||All trail users are required to have a permit. Permits are not sold on site; permits must be purchased from local vendors (see below for a list of vendors).
|Open Season:||First week in April - First Monday in January|
|Closest Towns:||Edinburg, VA|
|Water:||No drinking water is available. All water taken from natural sources should be purified before use.|
|Restroom:||Vault toilets are available at the Edinburg Parking Lot|
|Operated By:||Lee Ranger District: 540-984-4101|
|Information Center:||For more information contact: Lee Ranger District (540) 984-410; 95 Railroad Avenue, Edinburg, Va. 22824; Office Hours: Monday - Friday, 8:00 - 12:00 and 12:30 - 4:30|
Read the Sharing the Trail & Trail Etiquette Brochure.
You share this area with people who live nearby and constant engine noise coming from the trail has become a problem. Be a good neighbor! For those folks riding on the Lawbreaker (553A) and Huckleberry (553B) trails, please take the curves at a slower speed thus reducing your engine noise.
It is recommended that all trail users always carry a reliable map. The Peters Mill Run/Taskers Gap OHV Trail System is shown on the Interactive Visitor Map and the National Geographic Trail Illustrated Map #792. Maps may be purchased at some local District Ranger Stations, at outdoor retail locations or by visiting the National Geographic’s Trails Illustrated website.
Each year, this OHV Trail System is closed to all motorized use beginning the FIRST Monday in January through March. This closure provides much needed resource protection on the trail during times of freezing and thawing.
Hunting is permitted in the area. All State hunting regulations apply. Hunters will need both a Virginia state hunting license with a National Forest Stamp and the Special Recreation Permit to hunt at this trail system.
Permits for use of the Peters Mill Run/Taskers Gap OHV Trail System are available for purchase only at the following locations:
- 7-11 Inc. Store 28429, 340 W Reservoir Rd, Woodstock, VA 22664. (540)459-4800, Hours: Open 24 hours
- Big Apple Exxon, 403 N. Main Street, Edinburg, VA 22824. (540) 984-3862 Hours: MON-SAT 4:30 a.m. - 10 p.m.; Sun 6:30 am -10 p.m.
- Bo's Xpress, 60 Stoney Creek Road, Edinburg, VA 22824 (SHELL STATION). Hours: Open 24 Hours
- Cook's Exxon Inc., 446 W. Reservoir Road, Woodstock, VA 22664. Hours: Open 24 Hours (Closed Christmas)
- Family Convenience Store, 401 Stoney Creek Blvd, Edinburg, VA 22824. Call (540) 984-9056 for store hours
- Fort Valley Country Store, 7091 Fort Valley Road, Fort Valley, VA 22652. (540) 933-6464, Hours: MON-SAT – 7 a.m. - 7 p.m., SUN 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- Lee Ranger District Office: 95 Railroad Avenue Open 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
- or by mail: Complete and return the Permit Order Form with your payment to 95 Railroad Avenue, Edinburg, VA. 22824. For additional information phone the Lee District office at (540) 984-4101.
The OHV trails can be accesed from three parking areas.
Edinburg Gap Parking: Take exit 279 off I-81. Turn east on State Route 675. In the center of Edinburg (T-intersection), turn north onto US Highway 11. At the north end of Edinburg, turn right onto State Route 675. Follow State Route 675 east to the top of Massanutten Mountain to Edinburg Gap. This is a large parking area with access to both Peters Mill Run Trail and Taskers Gap Trails. Restroom available. Approximate Lat/Long: N 38º 47’ 19.1” W 78º 30’ 49.2” Taskers Gap OHV Road is 0.8 miles further down State Route 675 on the east side of the mountain.
Taskers Gap Trailhead: Take exit 279 off I-81. Turn east on State Route 675. In the center of Edinburg (T-intersection), turn north onto US Highway 11. At the north end of Edinburg, turn right onto State Route 675. Follow State Route 675 east for approximately 5 miles to then access road for the Taskers Gap Trailhead. Parking area provides space for 10 vehicles and access to Taskers Gap area trails. Approximate Lat/Long: N 38º 46’ 55.7” W 78º 30’ 49.2”
Peters Mill Run North Trailhead: From I-81: Take exit 279 and turn east on State Route 675. In the center of Edinburg (T-intersection), turn left onto US 11. At north end of Edinburg, turn right onto State Route 675. Follow State Route 675 for 5.9 miles over Massanutten Mountain to a stop sign at Kings Crossing (T-intersection). Turn left (north) and drive 7.3 miles to Detrick. Turn left onto State Route 758 in Detrick and drive approximately 3.5 miles to access road to parking area on your left. The section of State Route 758 west of this point is not suitable for trailers. There is space for 10 vehicles in this parking area. This parking area provides access to Peters Mill Run Road. Approximate Lat/Long: N 38º 52’ 26.4” W 78º 52’ 26.4”
**Special Note: There is no access to the Peters Mill Run Taskers Gap OHV Trail System through Seven Bends State Park. Trails in the state park area are designated as non-motorized use only.
Map showing recreational areas. Map Information
Big Game Hunting
Small Game Hunting
OHV Trail Riding
There are 36 miles of interconnecting trails in this trail system.
Blazes: Color will vary depending on the trail. Motorized trails in this trail system are blazed with the letter “V” for vehicle.
Trail Difficulty: All trail difficulties are posted on OHV trail maps posted at the trailheads. Refer to trailhead maps for more information. Trails will range from Easy, Moderate, and Difficult.
Connecting Trails: There are multiple connecting trails within this trail complex. Stay alert, motorized users must stay not stray onto non-motorized trails.
Alerts & Warnings
- Effective July 1, 2022, Virginia law permits hunting on Sunday
- Offices on George Washington and Jefferson National Forests Open to the Public
- Bolar Mountain Recreation Area Summer Schedule Delayed
- Bolar Flat Day Use Area at Lake Moomaw Closed for Public Health and Safety
- Grindstone camping limited in 2022
- Temp Closure: Rocky Run ATV trail, Second Mountain, Long Run Road
- Some roads and trails closed in Rockingham County VA and Pendleton County WV