The Pines Campground
The Pines is a rustic campground in a wooded setting, located adjacent to Barbour's Creek, a stocked trout stream. Most of the campsites are designed for tents, but small recreation vehicles can be accommodated. Jeep enthusiasts can experience some of the most challenging 4-wheeling in Virginia at nearby Potts Mountain Jeep Road.
At a Glance
|Open Season:||April 15 - November 15|
|Closest Towns:||New Castle, VA|
|Water:||No drinking water provided|
|Operated By:||Eastern Divide Ranger District: 540-552-4641|
From New Castle, VA: Follow SR 311 north for approximately 4 1/2 miles. Turn right on SR 611. Follow it for 5 miles and turn left on SR 617. Travel 5.5 miles to the campground entrance on left. Driving distance from New Castle is about 15 miles; estimated time is 30 minutes.
From Covington, VA: Take SR 18 to SR 615. Turn left and follow to SR 617; campground is on right.
Map showing recreational areas. Map Information
|No. of Sites||7 single campsites, 3 double campsites, and one picnic site.|
|Reservation Info||Reservations are not available.|
|Fire Information||Campfires are allowed in designated campfire rings at each campsite. Dead and down wood can be gathered on site.|
River and Stream Fishing
Alerts & Warnings
- Effective July 1, 2022, Virginia law permits hunting on Sunday
- Offices on George Washington and Jefferson National Forests Open to the Public
- Downed Trees Blocking Forest Road 2005 on Marys Peak
- Bolar Mountain Recreation Area Summer Schedule Delayed
- Bolar Flat Day Use Area at Lake Moomaw Closed for Public Health and Safety
- Grindstone camping limited in 2022
- Temp Closure: Rocky Run ATV trail, Second Mountain, Long Run Road
- Some roads and trails closed in Rockingham County VA and Pendleton County WV