Munising Self Guided Tour

Area Status: Open
This area is Open

This self-guided tour will allow you to go back in time and /or memory to days of the "Great Depression," when folks were hungry and jobs were few. Young men looked to the newly created Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) as an opportuntity to earn money to help feed their families. In creating the CCC, President Franklin D. Roosevelt saw it as a way to put such men to work and, at the same time, revitalize the country's ravaged natural resources. Much of the CCC work centered on National Forests like the Hiawatha. There are a number of CCC sites on the Munising Ranger District

At a Glance

Open Season: January - December


Scenic Driving

Hide detail HIDE

Scenic Driving

#1 - Wetmore Lookout Tower - On FH-13, 1.1 miles south of M-28/94 - The Wetmore Tower built by CCC enrollees was part of a continuously improving fire control and communication system on the Forest. Fires spotted from this tower were reported to Forest headquarters and the information relayed to the nearest CCC camp. Crews were on duty throughout the fire season.

#2 - Camp Kentucky On FR-2268, .7 of a mile southwest of FH-13 Camp Kentucky, in operation from May 4, 1933 into 1937, was base for the 666th Company. Projects completed include the Wetmore Lookout Tower (Stop #1) and Clear Lake Organizational Camp. Just scattered foundations remain of Camp Kentucky. Evidence of structures across the road is that of the Kentucky Fire Guard Station and Forest Service repair shop.

#3 - Doe Lake Road - FR- 2268 - Roads such as this, built to improve transportation to fires, also opened up the Forest for timber harvest, timber stand improvement and recreation.

#4 - Fisheries Work - On Big Indian River, along FR-2268, 2.5 miles west of intersection with FR-2254. Walk a short distance along the Big Indian River and you will see stream improvement structure by CCC crews. Wildlife projects also were part of CCC work, including research on fur-bearing animals, deer and moose.

#5 - 8 Mile Corner - Intersection of M-94 and FR-2254.
This monument commemorates the 1931 dedication of the West Unit of the Hiawatha National Forest, two years before the CCC program began. In 1981 the Forest celebrated the 50th anniversary of this dedication.

The red pine plantation to the south of the monument was planted in 1935 by CCC enrollees. In 1979, this 11-acre stand was thinned as part of a timber sale, yielding 46 cords of pulpwood and 15 cords of saw timber.

#6 - Camp Wyman - .7of a mile east of M-94 on FR-2264. Founded Nov. 25, 1933, this camp was home to enrollees of Company 671. Enrollees were trained in tree planting, timber stand improvement and firefighting. They also worked on fire hazard reduction, telephone line construction and forest inventory. Camp Wyman was abandoned in January, 1936.

Other CCC Points of Interest:

A - Camp Chatham
Occupied by CCC Company 3614, opened July 3, 1935; closed May 31, 1937.

B - Camp AuTrain
Occupied in July, 1935 by Company 3607, which was organized at Camp Kentucky in June, 1935. It closed in 1941 and was used as a German prisoner of war camp during World War II.

C-Camp Evelyn
Camp Evelyn was established in June, 1935, for a group of enrollees from Camp Steuben, Company 3613. It closed in 1942. Camp Evelyn was a German prisoner of war camp during World War II.

D-Clear Lake Organizational Camp
This organizational camp, still in use today, was constructed by CCC enrollees from Camps Evelyn and Kentucky during the late 1930s and early 1940s.

E-Camp Steuben
Originally located near the community of the same name, Camp Steuben was home to Company 669. It moved into buildings at this site in November, 1933, and closed in 1937. Some CCC-era structures are visible at the site today.

F-Camp McComb
Home to Company 1614, Camp McComb was established in June, 1933, and abandoned in January, 1936, with six others in the Fort Brady District.


Areas & Activities


  Latitude : 

  Longitude :