Rickenbaugh House

Area Status: Open
This area is Open
 

Rickenbaugh House

This sandstone block house was built in 1874 by Jacob Rickenbaugh. The house has been renovated and is open periodically during the summer months when staff is available. Interpretive programs are given at the amphitheater next to the historic house and tours of the house are scheduled regularly. A nature store with souvenier and educational items is located inside the house.

A downloadable flier with information is available - click here.

At a Glance

Operational Hours: Times are usually posted and dependent on when other programs are being given.
Fees No fee to visit the house but donations are always accepted to continue the restoration of the historic structure.
Permit Info: None needed.
Open Season: summer months as interpreter is available.
Usage: Light
Closest Towns: Tell City, IN
Water: none
Restroom: Vault Toilet at the boat launch parking area.
Operated By: USFS, Tell City Ranger District, 248 15th Street, Tell City, IN 47586; Phone: 812-547-7051

General Information

Directions:

Located 3 miles south of Interstate 64 off State Highway 37. Turn at the large entrance sign. A gatehouse sits just off State Road 37 at the entrance of the recreation area. Past the Gatehouse take the first left and continue past the campgrounds to the end of the road which deadends at the boat launch and parking area for Rickenbaugh House. GPS Coordinates: Lat - 38 degrees 11' 56.664"N, Long - 86 degrees 35' 53.951"W


Recreation Map

Map showing recreational areas. Map Information

Activities


Outdoor Learning

Hide detail HIDE

Visitor Programs

A seasonal interpreter at the Rickenbaugh House gives regular programs on a variety of topics at the amphitheater next to the historic house as well as tours and programs related to the Rickenbaugh family and the historic home. Schedules are regularly posted or for more information contact 812-547-7051.
Difficulty Level: Easy to Intermediate

Interpretive Areas

Jacob Rickenbaugh built this historic sandstone house in 1874. He came to the area because of the abundance of oak and chestnut trees - known for their tannins - to ply his trade as a tanner of hides. The house stayed in the family through four generations before it was sold to the Forest Service in 1968. It is now on the National Register of Historical Places. The Forest Service is now rehabilitating the property with the cooperation of many local partners and grants. Donations for restoration of the house are being managed by the Lincoln Hills Resource Conservation and Development Council. The Forest has also developed an educational curriculum around the Rickenbaugh House for 7th grade students. Copies of this curriculum are available in local libraries. A program under the auspices of Hands-on-the-Land also has been operating since 2007 through a local school to get kids involved with history and nature. Both inside and outside the house are several interpretive panels describing life for the Rickenbaugh family and several authentic and period pieces have been returned to the house. The house is open regularly for self-guided tours. See information on interpretive programs for the days/ hours it is open.
Difficulty Level: Easy to Intermediate


https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/hoosier/recreation/recarea/?recid=41492&actid=118