Galena Creek Visitor Center
The Galena Creek Visitor Center is managed by Washoe County Regional Parks & Open Space under a special use permit from the U.S. Forest Service with a goal of increasing public understanding and appreciation of the many natural, cultural, historical, and recreational resources in the Galena Canyon area and the Mount Rose Scenic Byway. The Great Basin Institute is the interpretive association that operates the Visitor Center, providing staff and volunteers who greet the public, provide travel information, and offer a wide variety of nature-based programming for all ages.
Additional highlights include:
- A gift shop and book store, exhibits, and flush toilets.
- A half-mile paved nature trail.
- Nature based programs and guided hikes offered.
At a Glance
|Operational Hours:||Summer Season (May 1-Oct. 15): Open Tuesday thru Sunday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Winter Season (Oct. 16-April 30): Open Friday thru Sunday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Location: 18250 Mount Rose Highway, Reno, NV 89511|
|Reservations:||Galena Creek Group Picnic Area, which can accommodate up to 100 people, can be reserved for $140 per day with a $150 security deposit. Contact Washoe County Parks at (775) 823-6501 or https://www.washoecounty.us/parks/rentals_and_permits/reservable_facilities/index.php|
|Area Amenities:||Interpretive Site,Picnic tables,Toilets,Drinking water,Parking|
|Closest Towns:||Reno, Nevada|
|Restroom:||Vault toilet open and maintained year round. Flush toilets located inside the visitor center.|
|Operated By:||Great Basin Institute|
From Highway 395 (now I-580):
1. Take Mt. Rose Highway 431 west approximately 7 miles
2. The Galena Creek Park is located on the right-hand side of the highway.
From Highway 28 just outside Incline Village, Nevada:
1. Turn east on Mt. Rose Highway 431.
2. Travel east for approximately 20 miles. The Galena Creek Park is located on the left-hand side of the highway.
Map showing recreational areas. Map Information
|Toilets:||Vault toilet open and maintained year round. Flush toilets located inside the visitor center.|