Henry M. Jackson Wilderness: Mt. Baker-Snoqualmie
Senator Henry Jackson of Washington was instrumental in designating many of Washington's Wildernesses. The 103,297 acre Henry M. Jackson Wilderness is located within both the Mt. Baker-Snoqualmie and Wenatchee National Forests. Here you will find terrain reminiscent of the Swiss Alps attracting mountain climbers: glacial basins surrounded by ragged ridgelines supporting sharp spires and rock towers. Snow often accumulates to a depth of 20 feet and remains well into summer. The melting snow feeds the multiple lakes in the northwest section. Tall forest at lower elevations thins out into broad meadows on ridge tops.
There are approximately 49 miles of hiking trails. Visitors can choose from easy day hikes to mountain lakes or hike the Pacific Crest National Scenic Trail through the Wilderness for about 32 miles. Henry M. Jackson Wilderness borders Glacier Peak Wilderness to the north and Wild Sky Wilderness to the southwest.
- Key access points: Trail and trailhead information.
At a Glance
|Permit Info:||Visitors are asked to sign the trailhead register.|
|Restrictions:||Wilderness regulations apply
|Closest Towns:||Leavenworth, WA; Darrington, WA|
|Passes:||Some trailheads require a valid recreation pass. Check our Recreation Passes and Permits page for details.|
|Operated By:||Forest Service|
Henry M. Jackson Wilderness southern access area is in the Stevens Pass area about 35 miles northwest of Leavenworth, WA on US-2. Henry M Jackson northern access is about 30 miles east of Granite Falls, Washington on Mountain Loop Highway.
Bedal, Benchmark Mountain, Blanca Lake, Captain Point, Evergreen Mountain, Glacier Peak West, Labyrinth Mountain, Monte Cristo, Poe Mountain, Sloan Peak. Download free U.S. Forest Service Topo maps.
Buy maps online
Go to the National Forest Store.
Go to Wilderness.net for online maps and other important Wilderness information.
- Bald Eagle Trailhead - Bald Eagle (Curry Gap) Trail 650, Bald Eagle Mountain Trail 650
- Barlow Pass Trailhead - Old Monte Cristo Townsite Trail to Glacier Basin Trail 719 and Poodle Dog Pass-Silver Lake-Twin Lakes Trail #708.
- Bedal Creek Trailhead - Bedal Creek Trail 705
- Blanca Lake Trailhead - Blanca Lake Trail 1052
- Elliot Creek/Goat Lake Trailhead - Elliot Creek (Goat Lake) Trail 647
- Johnson Ridge Trailhead - Johnson Ridge Trail 1067
- Meadow Creek Trailhead - Meadow Creek Trail 1057
- North Fork Skykomish Trailhead - North Fork Skykomish Trail 1051, Pass Creek Trail 1053, Quartz Creek Trail 1050, West Cady Ridge Trail 1054
- Pacific Crest - Stevens North Trailhead - Pacific Crest Trail 2000 Stevens Pass N
- Sloan Peak Trailhead - Sloan Peak Trail #648