Barlow Trail #601A
This trail was once a part of the Historic Barlow Road, one of the last legs of the Historic Oregon Trail. Where the trail meets the Still Creek Campground, there is the site of a former historic resort called Swim, which was most active during the 1920’s. Various foundations from the facility, including an old pool, can still be found.
The Barlow Trail connects Still Creek Campground with Government Camp, OR. Due to its historic value as part of the Barlow Road, it is a bit more primitive than most trails in the area to preserve its historic characteristics. Its rocky terrain and ditch like appearance is representative of how it likely looked when wagons and stock were on it in the 1850’s.
Trail Description and Map (PDF File)
To access the EAST end from Portland, OR - take U.S. Hwy 26 29.5 miles east of Sandy towards Government Camp and turn right (south) on Still Creek Campground Road (Forest Road 2650). Drive 0.3 miles south into the campground and parking area. The trailhead is located on the western leg of campground loop. Parking and trailhead are on the west side of the road. Vehicles are not allowed access to the campground during the winter season.
To access the WEST end from Portland, OR - take U.S. Hwy 26 east towards of Government Camp. Travel 29.2 miles east of Sandy and turn right (south) into the State Highway Department (across from Timberline Road). Follow the access trail at the west end of the parking lot into summit compound (a collection of forest service buildings) to the junction with the west end of the Barlow Trail #601A and the east end of Hemlock #691A.